Very fun and different content today

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hey guys,

For those who do not know, last week we had a "drop everything and jump on a plane" opportunity. After 2.5 years of asking, we got a 2-hour window to go look around the IT of an NFL stadium, unguided. That "Go" came about 36 hours before the window opened. Then, I got very sick to the point where tasks that would normally take me 90 minutes instead were taking 7 hours. Hence why we had no video last week.

I know it is a bit different, but I want to do more showing folks where IT lives outside of traditional hyper-scale data centers.

The ASK: If you, or someone you know work at a major sports team venue, an airline (servers inside a 787?), an oil rig (this is my #1), or somewhere else cool where servers live, let me know. I look at this as the first draft and hope we can do more in the future.

Cheers,
Patrick

necr

Dec 27, 2017
It's okay man, the burnout is real (last example ipspace.net), absolutely go for every "weird" opportunity, talk about powerline, take breaks and vacations, pick up the other hobbies.

I knew the guy who connected cruise ships over BGP, if I get a hold of him will let you know.

Re: video - lots of SM fiber, and fairly large boxes (Cisco?), the rest is expected.

Reactions: Patrick

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Most of that fiber is for the DAS (distributed antenna system) they installed for 4g/5g wireless. Its a huge challenge to handle cellular with that many people with phones crammed into a small space.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
That's cool content :D
I had a teacher at school who worked at some point on a military boat/ship and he told us a little bit about the networking/signaling & computers on such a vessel. Very interesting stuff :D