Upgrade Existing Win 2019 Std License + CALs to 2022?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Magnet

Jan 25, 2018
North Florida
Rebuilding a server and would prefer to use 2022 instead of 2019. My 2019 license key doesn't work.

Is it possible to "upgrade" a 2019 license to 2022? I would also need to do the same with CALs.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Digital Spaceport

Apr 17, 2022
Austin, Tx
digitalspaceport.com
If you read that actual linked post that person linked it doesn't say that you can upgrade free at all, and no you cannot upgrade free unless you have an active Software Assurance on your current version as that provides upgrade rights. It also costs a lot more vs a standard license.

For instance right now, buying server 2022 w/o SA means a much shortened lifespan of support, and pretty much no additional features. They don't prorate the costs unfortunately as they have a distinctly profitable operating system for them.

Also cals work downward, not upward, again the exception is if you buy SA on the cals.

Seems ou can upgrade for free to Windows 2022: Redirecting

CALs are not connected to a version if I seem to remember correctly.

joeribl

Jun 6, 2021
Yes you are right. If you bought a Windows 2022 license, you have a right to downgrade it to 2019. And then in the future you can still upgrade it back to the original 2022 without addicional cost. The answer in the MS post was not very clearly formulated as it spoke about the purchase of a Windows 2019 license, and then upgrade.