Test of UTP/STP cable testers [review sugestion]

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Havor

Aug 11, 2023
Most people don't have money to buy an $700 and up to $12K Fluke (or need), would STH consider testing the more wallet friendly, and maybe also not so friendly options?

I found it hard to find good reviews on what unit to buy, and my network mainly have runs for AP's, A/V, IP-cams and Home Assistant, and sometimes, doing RJ45's you make mistakes, and a tester can ease the troubleshooting.

First tings, I think of what to test:
  • Good/bad connection.
  • Wires in the right order.
  • POE test.
  • How good is the toner.
  • Fiber (basic) test option?
But finally, just order this $35 one, it looks okay, and hope it's okay, will see when it arrives.
But if you follow that link, you find a lot of prosumer testers between $15 and $150 range.

Don't know if it would be interesting enough to do an article about, but I think so.

Please do understand that unlike most sites, I purchase the vast majority of the product I review, so financial constraints may impact my ability to quickly review a product.
Maybe, after testing, you can do a lottery of the cable testers, and for every dollar you get a ticket, and the proceeds can be used for a fund for other test like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

ano

Nov 7, 2022
we rent fluke testers when needed, like for our new office, 23% of all connections were not up to standards... cat6a STP... :eek:

Havor

Aug 11, 2023
we rent fluke testers when needed, like for our new office, 23% of all connections were not up to standards... cat6a STP... :eek:
Yeah, but that's not something you do for home.
Still would be nice if you can see that with any of those budget testers, would be useful, for prosumers or for small projects, just to check.

For home use, is a budget socket wrench still better than noting, and you don't need a full Snap-on quality set.

With these testers is a bid harder, you don't know if you get something mostly useful, or if tea leaves will tell you almost just as much about the quality of the connection.