Supermicro JBOD fails to power on

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tcpluess

Jan 22, 2024
Good day,
so I have this Supermicro CSE 836. It was in operation a couple years, then at some point a disk failed and because I thought I will no longer need it, I switched it off and put it aside.
Now I could use it again, luckily I still have it! or at least I thought so.
I am not 100% sure if I have equipped it with the right power supplies, because I put these aside seperately (stupid, I know). However I put two known working power supplies in there and when I plugged it in, even without pressing the power switch, the unit powers on. However only for a couple seconds, then the "power supply fail" LED illuminates for a brief moment and then the entire thing switches off itself again. Then, the "information" LED stays solid blue.
I also notice that the upper power supply has its LED green, and when the unit powers off changes to amber, while the lower power supply has its LED off at all times.
So I changed power supplies, same effect.
Is this an indicator that the power distributor could be damaged? or the power supplies? I wonder if it is possible to repair this unit with acceptable cost. It would be great to use it again. I just recently aquired a LSI 9207-8e HBA card and would like to use this card together with this enclosure.

1707810047013.png

1707810061257.png

Last edited: