SMTP Emailing in 2024

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Just curious what you guys use. Seems like all big common players shutting down SMTP support (Gmail, O365).
And it seems like common theme with various tools like:
IPMI
RAID management
Backups
Linux stuff
etc..

All support SMTP email for alerts, etc.

So, what do you use to set those up?

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Own mail server (Arch with postfix, rspamd with redis, dovecot with flattenthecurve full-text search, slightly patched roundcube behind app firewall with deep 1990s PGP compatibility and postgresql, nginx, clamav plus extra patterns, olefy, fail2ban) in a clean subnet of a hoster that throws out spammers and scammers faster than others. Took months to perfect and alot of 'unixoid' experience.

If you only need inbound from external services, you can host a secured Postfix anywhere. If you need outbound to 3rd party users, things will get complicated. Need clean IP and ASN, proper DNS entries, plus time to let others learn you are alright and not some spam shop.

Reactions: is39

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Own mail server (Arch with postfix, rspamd with redis, dovecot with flattenthecurve full-text search, slightly patched roundcube behind app firewall with deep 1990s PGP compatibility and postgresql, nginx, clamav plus extra patterns, olefy, fail2ban) in a clean subnet of a hoster that throws out spammers and scammers faster than others. Took months to perfect and alot of 'unixoid' experience.

If you only need inbound from external services, you can host a secured Postfix anywhere. If you need outbound to 3rd party users, things will get complicated. Need clean IP and ASN, proper DNS entries, plus time to let others learn you are alright and not some spam shop.
To mee it's all alien language :)

I need outbound to 3rd party users. But not everybody. I have my own @domain.com account at o365. All I need is those emails getting fine to tis @domain.com

Perhaps some commercial service can be used? Maybe AWS?

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Why not catch everything via SNMP and have something centralized email out of as needed instead of having every single device do it independently? Gmail still supports SMTP just fine and I don't see anyone else retiring it either.

Reactions: gb00s

zunder1990

Nov 15, 2012
What we do is run a smtp relay inside the network with no auth if coming from the allowed IPs. From there it is authed and sent on to office 365 to the users.

katit

Mar 18, 2015
What we do is run a smtp relay inside the network with no auth if coming from the allowed IPs. From there it is authed and sent on to office 365 to the users.
Can you give some hints? What is "SMTP Relay" if we run Windows?

katit

Mar 18, 2015
Hahaha :) Updating all of you here just in case someone has same Q.

Short story - I went with @vudu suggestion :)

Long story:
I went force and back with M365 support on how to make their SMTP work. Settings, options, emails, etc, etc. No luck doesn't work.
Then I decided to maybe get local SMTP up and relay to somewhere (I was hoping M365 as there is how to's online)
First of all - SMTP on server 2022 doesn't work out of the box (crashes). MS doesn't support it but it's there, and there is workarounds to make it work. But it still wouldn't relay to M365 and it is not supported.

Reactions: vudu