Similar situation on bilibili.com?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
Hi Patrick,

I just found STH's youtube channel has only 77k subscribers.

Just like this guy on bilibili.com, who posts enterprise server and network gears like you and has only 97k subscribers. Each of his video has similar viewing numbers like yours in youtube. (In Chinese, "万" = 10kilo.) He already tried his best to make professional & enterprise gears' knowledge interesting to regular people.

By the way, some others are trying to transfer STH videos to bilibili (search link). I haven't figure out whether they translated your subtitles by hand or AI.

Note: bilibili is the largest long video site in China. In recent years, short video sites like Tiktok(Douyin) or Kuaishou(Kuai) took over the largest part of the young people's spare time in China, even in the educational and professional knowledge area.

Reactions: Patrick

edge

Apr 22, 2013
I don't view tech info on YouTube. I read 800 words per minute - video is very low information per second. I will have finished the written STH article before the video is halfway done ( though the image of Patrick speaking at 800 wpm is amusing). The audience for advanced tech does not consist of "regular people"...

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
I don't view tech info on YouTube. I read 800 words per minute - video is very low information per second. I will have finished the written STH article before the video is halfway done ( though the image of Patrick speaking at 800 wpm is amusing). The audience for advanced tech does not consist of "regular people"...
Agreed, the low information density of videos makes them not worth the time cost unless there is a technique or similar that video really adds value to. It drives me nuts when I see a headline I am interested in and I think I am going to get a written article and then it is a video after I click.

Reactions: zunder1990

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Or simply it don’t have or want to put on noise cancelling headphones on a train or whatever place that videos just don’t work. I tend to use the travel to work time if public transport as a catch up on news time, for that’s it’s reading.