Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
An hour is unusual and excessive. My 4 core, 16GB VM takes ~5-8 minutes to load which is longer than most services, but far short of an hour. When I started using vSZ I recall there was nuance when setting up re network connections for vSZ-e in contrast to vSZ-H to do with control and data-planes that led to odd/similar issues. Maybe worth checking the docs to verify.
Cost wise, I just renewed a 5 year vSZ with support for 6 access points at ~$800. I guess $600 with one or two APs thats more typical in a home. The gap to Unleashed is coming down pretty quickly so I'm not sure I'll be renewing past this window.
Fair, I did exaggerate the boot time, if only because I was so turned off by just trying to get it initially deployed. vSZ doesn't offer me anything Unleashed doesn't that I find worth the additional cost. I may revisit it in trial mode. I use Starwind VSAN as storage for my cluster, and the backing storage is a Oracle branded Samsung NVMe card.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014

200.15 - problems with iOS devices & roaming/deep sleep/general connectivity. I don’t know why it doesn’t affect everyone- I have three R750s and a H550 and I’m affected. There’s other folks affected as well but Ruckus QA is having difficulty reproducing the wake from deep sleep issue. They managed to reproduce the roaming issue but the version they say fixes it … doesn’t :rolleyes:
Hmm.

I just took a look in the Administration -> Upgrade menu.

Looks like there are two different versions of 200.15 available for upgrade now.

I wonder if this means the issues previously mentioned with 200.15 have been patched.

(I'm currently on 200.14.6.1.203)

Anyone tested these versions yet to see if they are affected by the known (but difficult to reproduce) issues @hmw mentioned?

I'm not sure how the version numbering scheme works quite yet. Which one is newer?
:oops:

tubs-ffm

Sep 1, 2013

pedrom

Jun 1, 2023
My conversions from R730 to R850 (unleashed) are failing left and right, hence i've moved them back to Solo which is, feature wise, very lacking.
Does anyone know if converting one of the R730 to a dedicated master, if I can configure the Solo " Set Controller Address" to the unleashed master if it will work ?
Thanks.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
My conversions from R730 to R850 (unleashed) are failing left and right, hence i've moved them back to Solo which is, feature wise, very lacking.
Does anyone know if converting one of the R730 to a dedicated master, if I can configure the Solo " Set Controller Address" to the unleashed master if it will work ?
Thanks.
If you have a few R730s then just buy a ZD1200. A ZoneDirector should cost $50-100 & is very similar to Unleashed.
Just don't buy a ZD1200 which is sold "untested" or "as-is" since older ZDs have the CPU fail eventually (with both LEDs stuck on green) & are unrepairable.

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Thanks.
What's the failure you're experiencing? If there's some widespread issue with the patch then I'd like to fix the instructions to handle it, or stop providing instructions.

If you have an Unleashed R730 which is still failing then I'd like to get a log of the output from the UART serial header. If you do this all the time then great. If you don't, then I'm happy to ship you a suitable ZD1200 if you'll ship me a misbehaving R730.

Last edited:

pedrom

Jun 1, 2023
What's the failure you're experiencing? If there's some widespread issue with the patch then I'd like to fix the instructions to handle it, or stop providing instructions.

If you have an Unleashed R730 which is still failing then I'd like to get a log of the output from the UART serial header. If you do this all the time then great. If you don't, then I'm happy to ship you a suitable ZD1200 if you'll ship me a misbehaving R730.

Thanks for the follow up. This week i'm seeing a different type of problems surfacing:
- [AP Restart : power cycle detect]

What's awkward and interesting at the same time is that:
- The device is connected with a power adapter (already swapped it with another one and the same problem is still visible) and directly to a UPS (moved it back to a normal plug but same behavior happened)
- This same device had been stable for several weeks now

The other device i have is now running as a dedicated master and the restarts

If you have instructions on how to get the UART serial header output I can play a couple of hours with it and provide it.

One thing i've noticed is that the R730 running with Unleashed performs much better (wifi wise) than with Solo.

Last edited:

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
Thanks for the follow up. This week i'm seeing a different type of problems surfacing:
- [AP Restart : power cycle detect]

What's awkward and interesting at the same time is that:
- The device is connected with a power adapter (already swapped it with another one and the same problem is still visible) and directly to a UPS (moved it back to a normal plug but same behavior happened)
- This same device had been stable for several weeks now

If you have instructions on how to get the UART serial header output I can play a couple of hours with it and provide it.
The connection instructions are here:-

But you don't need to actually do any of the recovery steps Floris mentions - just set the screen buffer to something large then save it to a file for me once there's been an unexpected reboot.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
Hmm.

I just took a look in the Administration -> Upgrade menu.

Looks like there are two different versions of 200.15 available for upgrade now.

I wonder if this means the issues previously mentioned with 200.15 have been patched.

(I'm currently on 200.14.6.1.203)

Anyone tested these versions yet to see if they are affected by the known (but difficult to reproduce) issues @hmw mentioned?

I'm not sure how the version numbering scheme works quite yet. Which one is newer?
:oops:
I’ve tested both versions. The problem is 802.11r and 802.11k. When those are enabled, iPhones and iPads just don’t work properly. It’s not just me, several people have had the same problem

update: ruckus confirmed a fix is coming soon

Reactions: Vesalius

matt_garman

Feb 7, 2011
I bought a cheap R730 off ebay. It looked pretty sad when I received it, as it clearly had a huge sticker on it originally. Five minutes of work with some goo-gone and it looks like new!

Anyway, I followed @ms264556's awesome guide to make it think it's an R850, then installed Unleashed. It appears I got a "good" one, everything went exactly like the guide describes. Delightfully unremarkable.

I currently have two Ubiquiti WAPs in my house, an A6-Pro and AC-Pro. They actually have been working just fine for me, but this thread gave me bad GAS! (But I also had a more rational reason to try - my friends are having some WiFi issues in their home, and I thought this might be worth a try.)

My house has a fairly central coat closest where I ran two ethernet cables. So I put the new Ruckus WAP in the closet where the U6-Pro lives. IOW, the two WAPs are essentially in the same spot.

Anyway - I'm powering my R730/faux R850 from my Brocade ICX6450-48p, i.e. 1gbps and PoE+ (802.3at class 4) only. As others in this thread have reported, I was getting the warning in the Unleashed GUI that insufficient power was available.

It does appear that forcing the higher-power mode (802.3bt class 5) improves performance considerably. Before doing that, I did a really informal analysis - I walked around various points in my house, and took signal readings (using "nOversight" on my iPhone and "WiFi Analyzer" on my wife's Android phone) and throughput tests on the two different WAPs.

I was initially disappointed - the Ruckus signal was consistently 10dB or so lower and throughput worse. So I thought I'd force it to 802.3bt mode and see what happens. It took me a bit to find where in the Unleashed GUI to make the change. First go to Access Points, then select the device you want to change, then click Edit (upper left), then select the Other tab. That's where the PoE Operating Mode config lives. I checked the Override Group Config checkbox, and selected 802.3bt/class5.

After that, I repeated my tests and it was almost a night-and-day difference. I now have a few dB stronger signal from the R730/faux R850, but throughput is almost always anywhere from 2x to 10x higher versus the Ubiquiti.

My only concern is that the Ruckus might try to draw more power than the ICX6450 can safely provide. So far, it's well under the budget:

Code:
#show inline power 1/1/42

Port   Admin   Oper    ---Power(mWatts)---  PD Type  PD Class  Pri  Fault/
        State   State   Consumed  Allocated                          Error
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 1/1/42 On      On         13900      30000  802.3at  Class 4     3  n/a
That's the highest I've seen, and I grabbed that while my wife and I both did throughput tests on our phones. I suppose if I had a big party and everyone decided to do throughput tests maybe the power draw would get significantly higher? It's going to be limited by the 1gbps wire to the switch anyway. But clearly in typical use we're well under 50% of the power budget. And given that the ICX6450 is an enterprise-grade device, I'm hoping it has self-protection mechanisms in place (maybe @fohdeesha knows?).

Anyway, I'm going to run with this for a couple weeks to make sure there's no hiccups, and then take it to my friends' to see if it helps them. If so, I'll probably buy another one or two to replace my Ubiquiti setup.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, it's super-helpful!