Questions for those who have moved proxmox hosts from old iron to mini pcs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
I've got an r730xd with dual cpu's (14 cores each, 2.6ghz base, 3.5ghz turbo, 135w tdp each), 256gb of ram, and 14x16tb 3.5" drives, and some nvme in a pcie carrier card. It eats a lot of power (i know about 80 watts are the drives alone). I run about 11 vm's, 3 windows servers, 2 windows desktops, 6 linux/bsd vm's, and 10 LXC containers, with 1 LXC container hosting 30-40 docker containers. CPU is normally around 30%, but occasionally spikes higher. All home server hosting stuff.

I've been thinking about moving away from datacenter gear, and getting into mini pc's to save power, and either a DAS off one of the nodes or separate low power nas board. i was looking at PassMark Software - CPU Benchmarks and my dual xeons combined have the same multi-core score as a single 13900h, and the single core is almost half of the 13900h. Yeah i'd lose ram and pcie lanes, but I would think a cluster of 3 nodes each with 96gb of ram would should work fine. As far as pcie lanes go, not really an issue since the ms01 has 10gb nics, 3 nvme slots, and a single pcie slot.

I was talking to a buddy who was insistent that i'd use just as much power as the 2016 xeon, because i'd be turbo'ing the 13900h all the time due to the fewer cores count, regardless of the passmark scores, and that i'm insane to consider not having ECC especially with my nas and using nextcloud for all my personal data and family photos (yes i have an offsite backup).

Now i did order a single minisform MS-01 to test it out, but i'm wondering for those of you who have gone down this path going from old iron to mini pcs, how did you see your power consumption change? My expectation is that going from 1 server to 3 mini pc's plus a nas, i'd wind up with similar total power utilization, but wind up with greater fault tolerance which would be worth it. My buddy is convinced my power utilization will go up significantly.

Last edited:

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019
It's a much newer, and more efficient processor. It'll use less power, all other things being equal. But they can't exactly be equal since your drives will be elsewhere. As far as I know, disk shelves aren't exactly known for being efficient.

For the turbo argument, tell him yes it'll go turbo but it'll also be done 3x faster so ultimately less power used.

louie1961

May 15, 2023
My environment isn't nearly as large as yours. I was running an HP Z640 with a E5-2690v3 CPU and 128 GB of ram. But I never saturated the system. I would run 5-6 VMs, and maybe 14-15 docker containers and 2 LXC containers. I ran my docker containers in one of the VMs. My pfsense was in its own fanless mini PC and still is. I also use a Synology NAS for SMB shares into the VMs and to mount docker volumes. Those two components didn't change. My HP Z640 would idle at 70 watts at the wall. I moved to a HP Elitedesk 800 G9 mini with an i5-12500T. I run all the same stuff and it is appreciably faster, and the Elitedesk mini idles at 9 watts. Most of my stuff is not CPU intensive: A few wordpress instances, Nextcloud, Photoprsim, Grocy, Mealie, Tracks, Leantime, HomeAssistant, Uptime Kuma, Watchtower, some Cloudflare tunnels. Stuff like that. I am happy I made the switch.

FingerBlaster

Feb 27, 2019
As far as I know, disk shelves aren't exactly known for being efficient.
Yeah, that's the rub. I have paths i can explore with hardware I have. 1.) I have an older 3u 16 bay super micro case, with a sas expander backplane. I could try going ham with a dremel and hacking in a super efficient atx psu, and a low power board. I'd like to have ecc on the nas, so some kind of small form factor xeon board, or atom board. or forget ecc, and some kind of low power mini itx board. I think some ryzens support ecc? 2.) i have a ds4246 shelf, with 1 controller, and 2 of 4 psu's it idles around 32w with no drives. I could also just put a external sas hba in a mini pci, and do it that way.

I find that so god damn impressive. I pay about $0.30/kwh for electricity and i'm just sick of how much my homelab is costing to run... I still have to replace my enterprise switch... I'm utilizing about 80tb right now of storage, so there's not much i can save on the drives.

Reactions: louie1961