Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Mintify

Apr 29, 2024
For those in the future I got a Samsung 980 Pro with Heatsink, and it does not fit, not because its too tall, but because its slightly too wide!

I got the barebones MS-01, and it does indeed come with its own heatsink. Ill probably end up removing the heatsink and using the provided one. Got a RX 6400 card as well and that fits just fine, after swapping out the bracket for a low profile bracket.
If anyone gets the Samsung ssd with heatsink as well by mistake and it doesnt fit too, here is a guide with images I found for removing the heatsink: . Haven't tried it yet as I don't have the screw bit needed.

thekobk

Mar 2, 2024
Support got back to me and asked me to try T500 in slot 1 with GPU but disable vt-d and sure enough that worked. It sure looks like a bios issue now. Sure hope they fix this soon, I definitely don't want to leave that disabled for future VM plans.
Well we have a bios update. I will report back when I try it.

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
I have moved my MS-01 fully into "production" in my homelab. It's now running everything that was previously running on my Lenovo Tiny with a 10GbE NIC installed. The power consumption continues to impress--steady state with everything running is still right around 20W, 5W lower than the Tiny, with a more powerful CPU.

My only issue thus far is thermals, which is not unexpected. NVME temps are pretty solid, even with all 3 NVME slots populated. CPU temps at base loads are fine, but not great--10-12C above ambient. But as soon as anything CPU-heavy starts running, it gets to 90C and starts to throttle pretty quickly. I may ultimately try replacing the stock thermal interface material. I don't have any liquid metal around and haven't used it in the past. Am I likely to see any benefit from simply repasting with halfway decent thermal paste like Arctic MX-4?

Thanks.

rowenarrow

Feb 14, 2024
Okay so after diving through this forum I have been left a little confused on the topic of if the 12th gen CPU actaully can account for 96GB RAM. I mean opinions are at times conflicting and I simply wish there was evidence. Well someone shared that with me and they are okay with me showing it with you guys so see the image attached. This is with a system that has a Intel Arc A310 GPU in it by the way.Screenshot 2024-05-01 025451.png

nirbo

Mar 4, 2024
I have moved my MS-01 fully into "production" in my homelab. It's now running everything that was previously running on my Lenovo Tiny with a 10GbE NIC installed. The power consumption continues to impress--steady state with everything running is still right around 20W, 5W lower than the Tiny, with a more powerful CPU.

My only issue thus far is thermals, which is not unexpected. NVME temps are pretty solid, even with all 3 NVME slots populated. CPU temps at base loads are fine, but not great--10-12C above ambient. But as soon as anything CPU-heavy starts running, it gets to 90C and starts to throttle pretty quickly. I may ultimately try replacing the stock thermal interface material. I don't have any liquid metal around and haven't used it in the past. Am I likely to see any benefit from simply repasting with halfway decent thermal paste like Arctic MX-4?

Thanks.
I was seeing temps in the 80s when I first got my MS-01.

I cleaned up the paste and put some of that PTM7950 Honeywell phase changing stuff on.

Last night I monitored it for 10 hours and the highest temp I saw recorded was 75 degrees.

Probably not running the same load you are, I was just watching TV on Plex and playing FFXIV.

Redoing the paste is def worth it

Reactions: adman_c

dvdplm

Jan 11, 2024

Thanks.
FWIW I applied liquid metal for the first time on my MS-01 CPU and it was not difficult, just take your time. CPU temps went down significantly (~10C).

Reactions: adman_c and h0schi

Arisian

Apr 8, 2024
Hi All,
Is anyone experiencing the m.2 slots (not the one with u.2) are dropping the NVME drives randomly? I have two Samsung PM983 4TB drives in that slot and they are dropping randomly and no longer show up in the bios either. I was planning to run a chkdsk, but its not even visible. Thanks

Dave
Yep I had this happen twice when using the PM983 - completely trashed the boot drive - taken the 983 out and no problems since.

jallenhayslett

Apr 21, 2024
So, based on everything I’ve read up to this point, if I am understanding things correctly, assuming I’m running Proxmox and passing two slots through to a TrueNAS VM, I should be running my boot drive on the third slot and the two passthrough drives on the first and second slots?

If so, this might explain my slow write speeds to the TrueNAS pool.

playlogic

Apr 29, 2024
US
@thekobk
I got to say, I think they will fix it. They have been in contact with me every day including Saturday and Sunday working on this. I'm very impressed and this is good news for everyone.
Can you keep us updated on this...I am not having these issue...dont want them...I detailed a response in my thread on the MS-01

Just to document what I am experiencing ...

Reselect0569

May 2, 2024
Hey Guys, I'm stunned on all the input and thought's, which run along this amazing mini-PC. I ordered one for further experiments, but I need at least 8TB of storage within the case. I know there's the JBOD-Adapter to attach a QNAP, but did you figure out a way to put in an 2,5" HDD? I know there's the U.2 Adapter Card, but I don't know if they really only support the enterprise SSD devices or if they also support normal Hard drives.

I also thought about a PCIe-Expansion card, but from what I read, it's too big for the half bracket size, right?

sandain

Jan 25, 2024
Hey Guys, I'm stunned on all the input and thought's, which run along this amazing mini-PC. I ordered one for further experiments, but I need at least 8TB of storage within the case. I know there's the JBOD-Adapter to attach a QNAP, but did you figure out a way to put in an 2,5" HDD? I know there's the U.2 Adapter Card, but I don't know if they really only support the enterprise SSD devices or if they also support normal Hard drives.

I also thought about a PCIe-Expansion card, but from what I read, it's too big for the half bracket size, right?
A 2.5" HDD will not fit without case modification because it would exceed the maximum 7.5mm height of supported U.2 drives. Additionally, you would need a device to adapt one of the M.2 slots (or the PCIe slot) to SATA as U.2 is not electrically compatible with SATA. Power would also be an issue, but maybe you could adapt the extra fan header.

I personally have an Intel 8TB U.2 (P4510 8TB Intel SSD Series DC NVME U.2 2.5" SSDPE2KX080T8 Solid State Drive | eBay) that I'm using with my MS-01. It is a 15mm tall drive that I purchased prior to knowing that it wouldn't fit. I used some M3 standoffs (5mm+4mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C14B6KKY?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1) to modify the case so the drive would fit. The metal bracket holding the NVME fan also had to be removed, and the fan now sits loosly in the case. Also, the plastic front panel no longer clips in nicely, but a piece of electrical tape holds it in place well enough. Not perfect by any means, but good enough for me. If requested, I'll post some pics. Actually here are some pics of a similar modification using a 3d printer: Printables

Last edited: