iscsi/pxe boot on Dell Wyse possible?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ambad4u

Dec 1, 2023
greetings to all,

first, i placed the post here as i am torn where to place this question in the first place (hardware?, network? etc?)..., might be the safest here i think!?

anyways...
upon my random searches on the interwebs..., i stumbled on xcp-ng/xo & a later time w/ Dell Wyse 5070 (will refer to 'wyse' from now on)

these wyse units packs some decent/respectable compute & outstanding power consumption & i was thinking of creating a cluster to test w/ 'xen'

the wyse has 1x m.2 sata slot & installing xcp-ng on it should be a trivial matter (although i have not tried it yet :p)

now, let's just assume that i also have a dedicated TrueNAS (scale) unit..., w/c is a capable for the iscsi needs.

my question would be:
is it possible for the wyse unit to boot xcp-ng over iscsi/pxe??? (akin to a diskless wyse server?)

thank you for your time reading my post.

SloppyDisk

Jul 18, 2023
If there is a bios option (personally, I don't get any new enough T/Cs in my line of work) then in theory it should work. Willing to bet someone on here knows!

Looks like it may have to be enabled, Dell states there are three options for the internal NIC, Disabled, Enabled, Enabled w/PXE.

Worst case maybe force it to usb boot and set up a custom config w/ an iPXE thumb drive & config to boot from?