Help with a PSU and 22 drive enclosure question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bennypuuduu

Jan 25, 2024
Hello
I was hoping this was the place for me to get some help with my DYI windows 10 media server and some problems i have in regards to snapraid and the failures thereof..

First, i am running a dyi windows 10, 22 drive enclosure that has 16x8TB WD reds, Exos and Iron Wolfs, as well as 5x4TB WD reds and a 512GB WD blue 2,5" (boot) on a Intel I5-4690K, 16GB ram, 2xIBM M1015 IT flashed, and an Antec 650w gold PSU.

Now, the system has been stable but as i upgraded from 4TB to 8TB drives it has slowly become unstable,and now snapraid fails every scrub on random drives when all drives are accessed at once in the array when calculating parity.

Now, i have replaced all internals, cables and drive cages, but problem persist, and i am suspecting my PSU is becoming under powered for this, but won't replace this on a "maybe" as it is expensive.

Snapraid fails with a fatal windows error 21 which as far as i know, is because access to the drive fails, and this happens in somewhat sequence as the drives are spun up during initialization for a scrub in Snapraid.

However, reading specs on the drives 8TB use only a couple watts more than the 4tb because the Exos and Ironwolfs are 7200rpm drives vs the 5400 on the wd red 4tb.

Anyone here can confirm or deny my PSU is the culprit and is under powered?

Help me STH, your my only hope ;-)

Have a nice day