DIY enclosure question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RedRover72

Jan 10, 2024
I need to rearrange stuff in that case after my power supply died. I guess it didn't like 96A on the 5V rail. It died pretty quick, oops. I probably should have thought about that beforehand. Luckily it didn't take anything with it. Now I have to figure out how to stuff 6 of those 5V load balancers from Corsair in there, too. Will probably take out one of the HBA's and 3x5.25 worth of the IcyDock backplanes. Maybe I'll have room for one of those SM733 boards after that.

I haven't tested my SM733 yet, but it has 4xSFF-8482 connectors (these look like regular SATA data and power ports, plus a few extra pins), plus two Molex 4-pin power connectors. You can connect vanilla SATA data and power, though, obviously without SAS capability. There are multiple versions of this backplane, mine has a 3-pin fan port and a sideband port, too. They sell some without those, too.

I'm hoping it will pass through SATA6 without issue, since I think it will still fit in there pretty nicely. It will be tight, though.

Once I finish reprinting some stuff and do some test fitting I'll post the links to Thingaverse, or wherever they end up.

RedRover72

Jan 10, 2024
Would I be able to use my hx1200 psu with this style case? If not what is the upgrade option?
Not sure if you're asking about the Rosewill case, or the SM826. You typically need a 4U case to fit a full size ATX PSU, although I also have a 3U case where the PSU mounts in the front of the case instead.
I had a AX1200i in my RW4500, that I just killed from being stupid. Going to put in my spare AX1500i, or I also have an HX1200 I could use, too. Almost any size ATX power supply will fit in the Rosewill.

nexox

May 3, 2023
The 826 fits a pair of proprietary Supermicro PSUs that tend to be pretty cheap and efficient, a popular model is the 920P-SQ, almost certainly one of the nicest power supplies you can buy for $30, and I doubt you could cool enough hardware to overload two of them in a 2U chassis, but I believe their 1200W PSUs fit with some kind of mods.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
Also worth mentioning that the 826 is almost always sold with the PSUs included. It's rare to find one without PSUs.

mike2246

Jan 20, 2021
Will the 826 and 920P-SQ work with standard atx motherboard? Will be powering 9 14tb drives, 2 pcie 4 nvme cards, 1 hba card, 1 p2200 vga. And maybe 6 fans. Switching from my epyc cpu unraid setup because it's pulling 200w constant. Changing to ryzen 8700 so I have sleep abilities. But after having 2 failed drives in the past I definitely want hot swap.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Will the 826 and 920P-SQ work with standard atx motherboard? Will be powering 9 14tb drives, 2 pcie 4 nvme cards, 1 hba card, 1 p2200 vga. And maybe 6 fans. Switching from my epyc cpu unraid setup because it's pulling 200w constant. Changing to ryzen 8700 so I have sleep abilities. But after having 2 failed drives in the past I definitely want hot swap.
There have been instances were some consumer grade motherboards did not work with the supermicro power supplies. you'd have to search the threads here to find which ones have been reported. That said if you can judge the compatibility based on the posting frequency, it is rarely reported. YMMV and the probability of "not working" may be higher when using a consumer board.

the 826 mounts all the way up to ATX-EE and down to Mini ITX

There are revisions of the 826. the 826B has a rear window that can be used to install a module for two hotswap 2.5" drives (SAS / SATA). There may be a rear U.2 module but I can't recall the details or how available it is. The rear window is plainly distinct in the 826B. The earlier revision of the 826 does not have this window. There is a how-to floating around to mod the earlier revision 826 to house the rear module.

The 920P-SQ is a 920W power supply so there should be enough juice.

Power connectors come off a PDB. If you aren't pulling molex into the motherboard tray you should be fine with whichever PDB is installed in the 826.

If 6 fans exist in your current rig and are all in the motherboard tray area then you should note that the 826 has 3 fans immediately behind the drive bays and before the motherboard tray. These fans are typically powered from the motherboard. The 826 is designed for static pressure airflow, you may not need all the fans you are bringing over. then again you may.

nexox

May 3, 2023
Note there are also versions of the 826 which have non-standard slots and require a proprietary motherboard with risers, for regular ATX compatibility you want the kind with 7 low profile slots in the usual position next to the IO window.

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
What is the little white connector in the 2 corners?
i2c. If I had to guess, it's provided as either an alternative to managing the backplane via SGPIO, or is used in addition to SGPIO in order to allow a BMC or some other piece of hardware to do out-of-band management.

It has two so that you can daisy chain multiple of them.

mike2246

Jan 20, 2021
Got the Intel Board, SO MUCH CLEANER of an installer rather than the break out sata cable. now I wish there was just a cheap and easy way to add a HotSwap cage to the Rosewill case. I contacted Rosewill about the L4500 and L4412 and they won't sell the cages separately that come with the L4412. any ideas or 3d print ideas for this?

Reactions: nexox

mike2246

Jan 20, 2021
running all 3.5" 14tb's in the rosewill L4500 case. was hoping for the click and print model lol, that's beyond what I can do

Reactions: nexox