O

Dell Edge 610, VEP1400 and VEP1400-X series

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
oneplane submitted a new resource:

Dell Edge 610, VEP1400 and VEP1400-X series - Reference information on the VEP platform devices sold under Dell, VMWare and VeloCloud names

The Dell VEP series contains desktop and rack-mountable hardware intended to be used as hosts in SD-WAN, SASE, and edge computing scenarios.

This reference contains information on the hardware, repurposing it for other uses and what various variations entail.
Read more about this resource...

frankharv

Mar 3, 2024
These are nice little Denverton boxes. I got both the Dell Edge 610 and 620. Both had Atheros MiniPCIe slotted AC Radios.

The issue for me is the BIOS had no settings to turn off the WatchDog Timer and its reboot and FreeBSD was rebooting at some defined interval.

I could never find a firmware to get rid of VeloCloud BIOS which I suspect was the issue.. Custom driver for watchdog?

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
These are nice little Denverton boxes. I got both the Dell Edge 610 and 620. Both had Atheros MiniPCIe slotted AC Radios.

The issue for me is the BIOS had no settings to turn off the WatchDog Timer and its reboot and FreeBSD was rebooting at some defined interval.

I could never find a firmware to get rid of VeloCloud BIOS which I suspect was the issue.. Custom driver for watchdog?
The WDT is a custom one AFAIK, implemented in a PIC accessible over I2C (that's a lot of acronyms!).
You can disable it from DiagOS or any other OS that has I2C bus support:

i2cset -y 1 0x22 0 0 b

More information:

Reactions: frankharv