CPU Coolers for Threadripper 7000? Do Threadripper 5000 series fit?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

HotRodNerd

Feb 27, 2020
Tennessee, USA
I’m looking to build a Threadripper 7000 series system and I’m try to confirm if CPU coolers from the sTR4-SP3 will fit onto the new sTR5-SP6. I know the pins in the CPU socket are different. However, I’m trying to confirm the cooler attachment points are the same? They look the same from pictures, but those are just pictures.

My Google-Fu skills trying to find a dimensional drawing of the sTR4-SP6 CPU retention bracket/socket have been fruitless so far. Also, I’ve tried looking on CPU cooler manufacturer’s websites and now I’m just more confused. Some seem to say that coolers are compatible (with the same brackets) between sTR4-SP3 and sTR5-SP6 and some say they are not.

Any light anyone can shed on this subject would be greatly appreciated and I’d be extremely grateful.

slidermike

May 7, 2023
Hi and no the mounting is different.
But you are in luck that one the top performing air coolers for the tr4-sp3 (arctic freezer 4u) came out with one that they designed to work with both the tr4-sp3 AND the new tr5-sp6 boards.
"arctic freezer 4u-m"

I see it on amazon for $65 + $13 shipping directly from the manufacturer.
I am located in the USA if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

HotRodNerd

Feb 27, 2020
Tennessee, USA
In case anyone finds this post in the future, it does appear that CPU coolers for the sTR4-SP3 socket will fit onto the newer sTR5-SP6 socket. I can confirm that the Alphacool Eisbaer Pro ES I purchased does fit onto a sTR5-SP6 socket.

gsrcrxsi

Dec 12, 2018
In case anyone finds this post in the future, it does appear that CPU coolers for the sTR4-SP3 socket will fit onto the newer sTR5-SP6 socket. I can confirm that the Alphacool Eisbaer Pro ES I purchased does fit onto a sTR5-SP6 socket.
thanks for confirmation. it's really weird that none of the cooler manufacturers post compatibility when you can see they are identical.