Backup Proxmox VE VMs Quickly and Easily

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Angus

Mar 3, 2015
Great article thanks..

I think there is one typo though...

If you want to restore a VM from a backup, it is very easy, and it can be done by going to the VM, clicking “Backup” and then picking the date and time of the backup you want to restore. You can restore it to different storage as well.

Guessing should pick "Restore"

Last edited:

The Gecko

Jan 4, 2015
Tips from the field...

A single Proxmox host will only backup one VM or container at a time. Therefore if your hosts have an imbalance of VMs, one host will take much longer than the others.

^^^^ That is all true, but..... It really comes down to the sum total of the size of the VMs hard drives on each host. I had a three node cluster with many VMs and one file server. The VMs probably amounted to 1TB of actual, consumed storage, while the file server contained 10TB+ of files. The host that contained the file server would take well over 24 hours to finish, while the other two hosts would finish in an hour or two. This time difference was uncomfortable, but the fact that a backup job would breach the 24 hour mark was unacceptable. In the end, I had to split up the files across three files servers and pin one file server to each host. Only then would the backup jobs complete in a similar time.

^^^^ This is true, but..... Backup times of any single virtual hard disk can depend greatly upon how much of that virtual disk is actually used, and how compressible is the data. Therefore, YMMV.