Aquired 2x CSE848X chassis- possibility to repurpose?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Koop

Jan 24, 2024
Hello everyone,

So I was watching an ebay auction for a while for a SuperMicro CSE-848XA-R3240B Barebone Server. it appears the chassis was originally meant for this system using a proprietary form factor X10QBi motherboard. It was priced at $300.

The reason I was watching it was because it was stated that inside was a BPN-SAS3-846EL1 backplane. This backplane alone sells for $250 on ebay currently. Now I didn't really have a need for a SAS3 backplane but I figured I'd at least watch the auction in case the need arose or something changed.

And change it did. For a brief moment the seller dropped the price of the chassis down to $200 shipped. I said yolo and ordered the two that were left is stock. The auction is back up again now but at the $300 price once again.

So I got both of them and they indeed both had the BPN-SAS3-846EL1 backplanes inside along with 2x CBL-SAST-0531 cables in each. The backplane alone felt like I got my moneys worth but now I also have these chassis with all their extra parts on top of it. Additonally all the drive sleds are completely unsued, they still have all their blanks in them.

The PDB in each are massive. PDB-PT418-B6824. I thought perhaps it would be two seperate PDBs and maybe I could use one in my current CSE-846 chassis but instead this thing is way bigger In retrospec it's listed right on the product page. The chassis each came with 4x PWS-1K62P-1R power supplies. These PDBs have a massive number of power connections on them, seems like I could use them for almost anything.

It also contains a FPUSB8813 board which is next to the 4x PSUs. It has a cable that looks like it runs to a USB header.

One thing I didn't realize is how much longer this chassis would end up being compared to the CSE-846. In retrospect it says it right on the product page. 32.1" depth vs the CSE-846 depth of 26".

With all that out of the way- what do you all think I could potentially use these chassis for? The mount points inside I assume are for the X10QBI motherboard. They can be moved around though and there appears to be a decent number of other positions.

Does it look like an ATX board could be dropped in here somewhere? No normal place for I/O though. I suppose even if it's silly given it's size I could try to drop in a JBOD controller and use it as such? Not sure if I could use the exisiting PDB unit with smaller PSUs perhaps.

What do ya'll think could be the best use here? Here's a picture with the backplane and PDB removed for now.