Search results

1. M

Netapp DS2246 & LSI 3008 IT Mode Issues in Windows 10 for Workstations

I tried a few different driver versions, none helped. Latest firmware on the adapter as well. It works fine if you're not connecting to an expander, so I have a feeling it's that enclosure stuff that's mucking it up.
  2. M

I recently did another experiment involving Windows Server. I setup Hyper-V and then configured the SAS 3008 / 9300e to pass through to a TrueNAS virtual machine under Hyper-V. That works fine and even though Windows never could see the drives in the Netapp shelf, the passed through card on...
  3. M

Tintri T5060 chassis (2-node, 24-bay SFF) what is it really?

Hi @BrokenBike - That's good extra info. If I recall, the internal M.2 drives are M.2 SATA (not M.2 NVMe) but I used a USB reader that handles both so that made it easier. I don't have a lot of experience with M.2 SATA, so besides being keyed slightly different I don't know if motherboards can...
  4. M

Netapp FAS3250 hacking (Unraid installed)

Yeah, the FAS3250 definitely won't break any speed records compared to something like a Dell R730 or something for the controller. But on the other hand, if you have access to that controller and the price is right, it would make a pretty good home kit. Just the fact that it will have the...
  5. M

Patching Intel X520 EEPROM to unlock all SFP+ transceivers

Include "length 1" on the end of the -E command that sets that value. I just did this on a couple X520 card in a system I was converting to fiber SFP's and didn't realize it wouldn't accept my Cisco modules. Fortunately I had a couple Intel modules I could use for now, but it bugged me and I...
  6. M

LOL, it was the thrill of the hunt. :)
  7. M

So, it was really nagging at me that I couldn't get the FAS2240-4 any further along, so I did a little more hacky-hacky on it. To "solve" my issue of the rear/external USB not working, I took an old computer case I wasn't using and pulled out the USB 2.0 9-pin header-to-USB sockets cable that...
  8. M

Yeah, I've tried to track down the *exact* specs on the make/model of the Tintri chassis. It's definitely a Xyratex/Seagate chassis, but as for the exact model, I couldn't find anything more specific than that. There are all kinds of clues in the hardware (like " Seagate XP-SM24SXP-SM-1 " or...
  9. M

For what it's worth, I tried this with the FAS2240-4. No success. The first obstacle was that the external USB on it just seems dead. No life at all, so my trick to use an external drive to get TrueNAS going was a failure. The next obstacle was when I just tried Unraid using the 2GB internal...
  10. M

I got TrueNAS Scale installed on the FAS3250 today. That was weird. First I tried just installing from a USB key onto the internal 2GB USB, and I'd ready that TrueNAS used to be able to install and boot from a USB stick, but it didn't even see it. Maybe it was too small, I know that 2 GB would...
  11. M

On that FAS2240-4, I managed to remove that Powerstor. I thought it was a battery but it's a supercap. Either way, the thing had corroded pretty bad and was leaking. Fortunately the motherboard seems to be unscathed. I did some washing with 99% IPA and a toothbrush. Most of the goo came off and...
  12. M

I've had good luck. They're just regular SATA 2.5" SSD drives. No special firmware. I just plugged them in and they worked. When I first tried one, I used an old HP Proliant (a DL360 G6) to try it. That Proliant has --slow-- speeds for SATA drives and you could really tell. But I hooked it up to...
  13. M

Oh, I forgot to mention, on the FAS3250, fan noise is an issue. When it initially boots, it's super loud but then quiets down. However, once Unraid starts, the fans kick up a notch again. I need to figure out a good way to manage the fans in that chassis. The drive shelf is self-managing as far...
  14. M

Initial look at the FAS2240-4... there's a 4GB DDR3 module, and then a 2GB DDR3 used for the NVDIMM. I was looking at the CR2032 battery, and then my eye fell upon a crusty, leaky, "PowerStor" battery. The CR2032 looked fine, but this other PowerStor thing, whatever it's used for... gross! It's...
  15. M

I got a decommissioned Netapp FAS3250 and some DS4246 shelves, and I'm not a Netapp fanboy so I thought, hey, let's try to get Linux installed on it? The FAS3250 (and I assume all of the FAS3xxx models?) are interesting. There's a little 2GB internal USB drive in there. It's an "embedded USB"...
  16. M

I could never get my backups of the internal drives to boot when I restored the images, and I blame Macrium Reflect (free edition). Either I did something wrong, or it really just doesn't work with Linux filesystems that well. The best I could do was restore it to a virtual drive and mount them...
  17. M

FYI, a little more research showed that there's something called a "Reduxio HX550" that uses this same chassis/canisters. Not a lot of info out there about that but I found this write-up from 2018 that has pictures of what it looks like. Same thing as the Tintri T50x0 and that IBM T7650G...
  18. M

I've been struggling with getting my new (to me) DS4246 shelf, a 9300-8e, and Windows Server 2022 (on a Dell R730) all talking to each other. They all work great in Ubuntu, TrueNAS, and Proxmox. No issues, they can all see all 24 drives. I can even daisy chain to a DS2246 and it sees those 24...
  19. M

After more fussing, I've come up with the following "partial" solution to being able to do something with it. TL;DR = TrueNAS scale, but only on the lower server node. And only in BIOS, not UEFI. It all came down to discovering that some things only work in BIOS, such as the NVDIMM support in...
  20. M

I'm still not really any closer to getting any other OS to see the front 24 drive bays... I tried using some "period accurate" versions of RHEL and CentOS (6.10) that seem to match the kernel of the Tintri OS (which I suspect is RHEL 6.10... kernel seems to be 2.6.32-10). I installed a stock...