Search results

1. J

Cups-pdf on Synology NAS

I've got a lab device that takes measurements and once it's finished prints a paper report if a physical usb or network printer is a attached. The device is very simple and I can't install stuff or access its filesystem. Now I'd like to be able to store those reports as a pdf, without having to...
  2. J

SW architecture for home server

I'm fairly new here and would like to get some feedback from the community on how to best approach what I'd like my server to do and the power consumption impact. I've got a solar with batteries and every kWh of those batteries is quite expensive, therefore I want to minimize the consumption of...
  3. J

Reduce opnsense router power consumption

Recently I put together a SFF pc with an i5-6500 and a quad port Cisco NetExtreme 1Gb network card. It operates as my main router running OPNsense. It’s running 80-85% of the time on C3 state, which is the lowest FreeBSD can do, and it’s pulling about 22W idling. I’d like to turn those 22 into...
  4. J

Pfsense - dedicated hardware or VM

I'm starting my home lab and would like to have a pfsense firewall. I'm debating between using a dedicated Optiplex-like (i5 or so) hardware or running it as a VM allocating a couple of cores and say 4GB of ram from my server. While I understand the basics, I don't have much hands-on experience...
  5. J

Ethernet coupler on a POE run?

Hi there, I'm new to the forum, this is my first post! I bought a house and I'm planning to install IP security cameras. My plan is to install them as high as possible (attic height) and then run the wires internally from the attic down to the garage where the POE switch sits. I've installed...