Search results

1. W

Why are motherboard failing Windows Server 2012?

This. SuperMicro might not have a ton of bells and whistles on their boards (I'd like some with DVI/HDMI) but they usually just work and stay that way, even when a new OS comes out. I've had consistently bad luck with Asus on that front over the years. All those extras they tack on end up...
  2. W

SATA PCI card or port multiplier (internal).

This diagram was insightful: http://serverfault.com/questions/11633/whats-the-bandwidth-and-form-factor-for-pcie-x1-x4-x8-and-x16 Yes, if you're talking to 8+ drives directly then doing it through a 1x port is going to be less than ideal. It'd be less of a problem if you were dealing with an...
  3. W

SATA PCI card or port multiplier (internal).

Is there any way to use a regular PCIe card in an mPCIe slot? Then you could use something a SAS adapter and some SATA breakout cables to connect up to 8 drives (or more externally). This would seem smarter than using multiple 2-port mPCIe adapters.
  4. W

ZFS CPU needs in openindiana

So what if I'm running OI on a dual processor Xeon setup? 2 CPUs, 4 cores each, in ESXi 5? Any suggestions on how what to use for number of vCPU and vCores with an OI setup? It'll mostly be handling CIFS shares.
  5. W

setting ashift when creating pool in napp-it?

I'm using the latest install of OI and napp-it (setup and upgraded yesterday). I've got some WD 2TB EARS drives; one connected to an areca 1260 and the other to an M1015. When I create a pool on the one connected to the areca it's set up with an ashift of 9. When I create another pool with...