Search results

1. M

New Hasivo 4x 2.5g + 2x 10g (all rj45)

Is like to see a cheap mixed sfp+ 10GBase-T unmanaged switch to replace hot and expensive Cu transponders.
  2. M

Review Request: SODOLA 12-Port SFP+ Managed Swich B0B8SJWV2S

The 12-port SFP+ one is listed again on Amazon. I ended up going with a Mikrotik CRS309-1G-8S+IN for my main switch, and a HARACO ZX-SWTG-W218AS at the far end of my house to break off a few untagged SubLANs from the main trunk.
  3. M

Hisource Hi-K0402WS absolutely tiny 2xSFP+ 4x2.5GBase-T unmanaged switch

Does anyone have experience with this tiny cheap switch? There were a ton of port numbers and configurations available on AliExpress. The 2xSFP+ 4x2.5Base-T was $35.08 including tax and shipping from China to the US. I was having trouble getting my employer managed computer on its own SubLAN...
  4. M

How do I get my Mikrotik L009UiGS-2HaxD-IN Router to connect at 2.5Gbps?

I have a Mikrotik L009UiGS-2HaxD-IN Router running Router OS connected to a CRS309-1G-8S+IN running SwOS. I have tried connecting them with both DAC and Cisco Finisar 850nm MMF transceivers (10Gbps capable). They will only negotiate a 1Gbps connection. I have also been unable to get 2.5Gbps...
  5. M

OK to put a wireless printers on trusted "family" VLANs?

Should I put my wireless printers on my IoT VLAN with my thermostats, security cameras, and appliances which only communicate through a remote server, put it on a trusted VLAN, or create its own VLAN? I'm going to want trusted folks (mostly wifi phones and laptops) to print. The upstairs...
  6. M

Review Request: SODOLA 12-Port SFP+ Managed Swich B0B8SJWV2S

The item in question is currently not one of the "flavors" on the Amazon listing. I ended up going with a HARACO ZX-SWTG-W218AS.
  7. M

Dedicated 2.5GBASE-T SFP+ transceivers that run cooler than 10GBASE-T transceivers?

I never got a chance to figure out as the module was not compatible. I used an SFP+/2.5GBase-T switch instead.
  8. M

Dedicated 2.5GBASE-T SFP+ transceivers that run cooler than 10GBASE-T transceivers?

I'm going to be giving the $21.99 Sodola 2.5G transceiver on Amazon (plus a 10% Coupon) a try. I bought one last year and returned it because it would only negotiate SFP/1000Base-T speed. I just noticed deeper down in the description that there is a dip switch in the nose to enable 2.5G which...
  9. M

My main switch (MikroTik CRS309-1G-8S+IN) is running very hot with 3 10GBASE-T SFP+ transceivers (even spaced in non-agacent ports). I did the popular fan mod but it was loud and only kept the closest port cool. I have a 10GBASE-T NAS, a 2.5GBASE-T WiFi Router (Multiple VLANS--untagged so it...
  10. M

Need help choosing a Router for this large but simple network

I've back ordered an L009. Expected to ship mid to late October
  11. M

New Intel D3-S4510 - 1.92 TB - 109$ on Amazon

In a manner of speaking. Deal with SK Hynix of South Korean to transfer Intel NAND business in 2020 but it has gone really slow due to cash problems on the Hynix side. I think Hynix finally made one of their last big payments and Intel is transfering the 3D NAND fab in Dalian China. I see...
  12. M

That is a great product that appears to have averything on my wish list and will free up enough ports to save me one switch. Now I just have to be able to find one for sale. If I go with the L009UiGS-2HaxD-IN for just $10 more I can save one Wireless AP.
  13. M

I'm looking for the cheapest most compact (and preferably fanless) router (but a fan is not a deal breaker) which will never be a bottleneck for ~150-300Mbps internet (Starlink--I'm rural)--Basically I want more than adequate hardware but not overkill. I want to run the router on bare metal (no...
  14. M

Cheap 8 * 2.5Gbit Managed Switches

I just received the Horaco 8x2.5+1xSFP+ version today. I'm thing to use it to get more RJ45 ports on my Mikrotik 309. You can only use 4 RJ45 2.5 or 10Gbps Cu transponders in the 309 (every other cage) due to heat. I will evaluate it as a simple Level 2 switch. If I like it I'll get another...
  15. M

Asustor Flashstor 12 Pro FS6712X Review 12x M.2 SSD and 10Gbase-T NAS

I am loving my NAS. I can definately saturate the 10Gb on read with 9k Jumbo Frames. I still have not done a not of write testing but it seems quick. I'm not seeing a technical thread on this unit so I'll post here: 1. I'm using RAID6. Does it only check parity on failure/rebuild and can...
  16. M

MikroTik CRS309-1G-8S+IN Review Inexpensive 8x 10GbE Switch

Thanks. In my experience DACs run very cool. I think it close to 0mW vs 800mW for a MMF laser, and about 2700mW for 10GBase-T. I've already ordered the case fan from this article: Tuto Fan mod sur le switch MikroTik CRS309-1G-8S+IN
  17. M

MikroTik CRS309-1G-8S+IN Review Inexpensive 8x 10GbE Switch

Would the following arrangement of transceivers be acceptable from a thermal perspective? I understand 7&8 are adjacent but they are only 1Gbps. Cu 10GBase-T (SODOLA SL-10GE-T) DAC 10Gbps Cu 10GBase-T (SODOLA SL-10GE-T)--running at 2.5Gbps DAC 10Gbps Cu10GB Base-T (SODOLA SL-10GE-T) DAC...
  18. M

Can OpenWRT assign the extra WAN ports on an Access Point to VLANs?

I'm not able to get as many Ethernet runs back to one room in a star formation due to older construction. I am running trunk lines to three access points and in 2 of those rooms I'd like to use the access points as switches as well. VLANS: Office (10Gb in one room, all hard wired--DAC and...
  19. M

NAS external USB backup drive spindown behavior

It works just fine. I can set the spindown time and the drive sleeps all day until the time for the incremental backup at 3am. I was unable to exclude the USB port from the "storage utalization calculation" which defaults to midnight but I was able to set it for 2:58 am right before the backup...
  20. M

Upgrading Home Ethernet form 1Gb to 2.5Gb (and 10Gb office)

No current construction. Just to be clear by future proofing I mean choosing the best currently available cable at the time a cable run is needed, not running any cable before it was needed. For example I'm very happy I ran CAT6A 6 years ago instead of 5E or 6. I got a screaming deal on...