Search results

1. P

RAID issues with dissimilar speed drives?

OK. I have a NAS that uses 10 1TB 10k RPM Velociraptor HDDs. It's SATA only. Squeezed into mATX case, with a FlexATX mobo. HDDs are ancient and bound to fail at some point. Whilst there are there are refurbished(?) and even a handful of new drives on the market, they are expensive. When...
  2. P

USB C/Thunderbolt hub

My wife's desk has become a rat's nest of cables. Lots of reasons why but life is too short to list them. There's a ThinkPad E14 Gen 5, HP machine as well as recent-ish Intel-based MacBook Pro. Don't use them all together so unplugging/replugging USB C cable(s) is fine. Have a number of USB C...
  3. P

Alluxio - hierarchical storage solution?

https:.//www.alluxio.io/ It's a very intriguing product because it claims to do proper hierarchical storage and afaik the only open source software that does. Suspect that it's overkill for home lab use. I wonder if anyone has used it either in a professional or homelab context?
  4. P

Home Office vs "Garden Office" quality of life

Based in the UK so things like basement don't apply. Long story but in short had a shed with power and insulation but big cedar tree dropped needles on it that caused the roof to rot. It's probably beyond economical repair and stopped using it as prime homelab location etc. I can see why...
  5. P

Older peripherals that are still relevant

This post about about why my AM4 mobo has a PCI slot got me thinking. What older things you can plug into a machine are still worth having despite their age. People mentioned audio stuff and data acquisition cards. CNC is a very obvious example. I've my eye on a 14 year old high end...
  6. P

Legacy ports and slots on modern mobo - why?

I purchased ASUS Pro A520M-C mobo (it's a long story). It's got a COM port and header for LPT. It also has VGA and DVI-D. Most of these are very useful to me. LPT less so. It also has a PCI slot, which is highly unusual for such a recent mobo afaik. But why would you want a PCI card in a...
  7. P

Sneakernet sync?

UK hobbyist on a very low budget with two sites. Within walking distance. Worked out that can get reasonable unlimited data broadband contract for £12 a month because on disability benefits. Not the fastest at "up to" 38 Mbps but better than trying to fiddle with mobile broadband and its...
  8. P

Who would buy this?

A USB to SAS adapter for $650? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/193633529269 There's probably a niche use case that I can't think of. I'm very curious about what's inside that box.
  9. P

Project management fail

I've been part of proper project management in a work context. I was pretty good as business analyst as jam/jelly sandwich interface between end users and devs alongside the data analysis. I wrote very clear specs and wasn't afraid to tell devs to stick to spec. But home-lab stuff, absolutely...
  10. P

Install on mirrored USB flash drives

My NAS build projects are going more slowly than I would like. I've got several USB 2 headers to dual USB socket adapters. My thinking is that multiple mirrored flash drives for TrueNAS installation is better option than SATA DOMs given I'd prefer to use SATA-3 ports for reasonably quick MLC SSDs.
  11. P

Very useful

I'm not sure if this represents a "good deal" per se... But it's ideal for some of my purposes at a decent price.
  12. P

Older PCIe cards with more lanes?

I've got a couple of PCIe x1 Gen 3 SATA cards in a machine that only has Gen 2 slots. I am going to put SAS/SATA controller in the x16 slot. Replace the SATA cards with a couple of 2.5Gbe network cards. It's a secondary NAS box. It'll be fine. My primary Supermicro X10SLH-LN6TF based box build...
  13. P

Game servers

I'm trying to engage with my 13 year old nephew re gaming and tech projects. There's been some engagement. He wanted to annoy a neighbour with loud volume of, to me incomprehensible, music. Gave him some potent active speakers, cheap USB sound device and demonstrated use of VoiceMeeeter. The...
  14. P

Budget SAS expander advice?

I'm after some advice about SAS expanders for my various in the process of being built TrueNAS boxes. I'm going to start those boxes with just eight HDDs connected to HBA/RAID controller flashed to IT mode. I see inexpensive 24 port expanders which would allow for 16 HDDs. But so would another...
  15. P

3D printer services are expensive!!!

I came across this https://www.printables.com/model/115768-1x525-optical-disk-drive-bay-to-4x25-up-to-15mm-th which is ideal for various projects that involve repurposing old cases. I don't own a 3D printer. Used an online estimating tool and price was £90! That's starting to get into IcyDock...
  16. P

Massive Array of Idle Disks (MAID)

Has anyone got experience or thoughts about it? I'm not in the position to do "massive" but having a mini-MAID box at the lowest tier of storage might work well for me.
  17. P

VPN and Remote Access - non-static IP

I have two sites. A flat and house. House has ADSL, IP whilst not static doesn't change very often. Flat situation somewhat different. 4G mobile broadband x 2 - one through modem, other tethering to phone. Both are limited to 20GB a month. Very slow and flaky but unlimited public wifi is...
  18. P

Dissimilar data VDEVs in a pool

I've read TrueNAS documentation, looked on various forums, etc but still a bit confused. I've 4 x 600GB SAS 10k rpm HDDs, And 4 x 900GB SAS 10k rpm HDDs. I'll set them up as two RAID-Z1 vdevs. I can put them in the same pool? If so, what are the advantages/disadvantages? Would I be better...
  19. P

Direct attachment etc

My build using old Dell T605 case and Supermicro X10SLH-LN6TF mobo is progressing very slowly. Not surprising as one of my hands is in a cast. I only need fast connection between it and two PCs and one other NAS. Don't intend to build a 10Gbe network everywhere. Other devices can use Gigabit...
  20. P

Dell proprietory nonsense...

... driving me nuts today. Going to have to take dremel to T605 case to make hole for standard size I/O.