Search results

1. Y

Dell R7525 Refresh CPUs?

Hi, Work has 6 of Dell R7525 with lower-end Rome (dual) CPUs. They're fine for now, and still under vendor warranty, but I'm wondering the practicality of eventually swapping the CPUs for higher core-count MilanX's? We'd prefer this done by a professional refurbisher than ourselves in-house in...
  2. Y

12V DC for Embedded Boards?

Hi, Anyone have any experience with 12V DC in on embedded boards like the Supermicro or Asrock Rack Xeon Ds? I've been looking around but not found a consistent standard, there's 8 pin & 4 pin, appears they must not be mixed! (The two connectors are for compatibility with existing ATX...
  3. Y

ASUS PN80 Mini PC

Suggestion for your minipc series: the ASUS PN80. Main selling point is that it's a little larger (2.4L, 65W CPU) with integrated power supply. https://www.asus.com/us/Displays-Desktops/Mini-PCs/PN-PB-series/Mini-PC-PN80/ Right now just a single SKU with 16GB RAM, 512GB NVME (pricey at $1.3K!)...
  4. Y

Server design for 12 memory channels per CPU?

Hi, Genoa will increase memory channels from 8 -> 12 (matching core count growth, disclosed in the recent AMD Financial Analyst Day). Current 2 socket x 16 DIMM slots already fill the width of standard 19" chassis (or 8 DIMMS per socket in 2U4N configurations). Where are the additional DIMM...
  5. Y

Nvidia triples Virtual Compute Server (vCS) license cost

Hi, Just a tidbit that Nvidia tripled the license cost for Virtual Compute Server (vCS) on August 3, 2021 from $150 to $450 per annum per GPU. https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/en-zz/Solutions/design-visualization/solutions/resources/documents1/Virtual-GPU-Packaging-and-Licensing-Guide.pdf...
  6. Y

Ice Lake Xeon D release?

Is there any update when Ice Lake Xeon D will be available? It seems to be perpetually delayed. It looks ideal for a cheap Ceph node? On a similar note any rumors on the replacement to the Dell PowerEdge R740xd2? Cheers!
  7. Y

NVLINK bridge use in datacenter?

Hi, Just curious if anyone has experience of actually using one of those NVLINK bridges across GPUs in a datacenter? Most rackmount chassis don't position the GPUs where they can be used, seems intended for tower cases?
  8. Y

Current server pricing?

Hi, I'm interested in approx/range pricing everyone else is paying for a standard (non-vsan) VM server? The latest quote I have through my regular purchase channel is pretty close to list? I know the supply channel is an unprecedented mess right now, but suspect we could do (much) better...
  9. Y

Too many places to comment on posts?

Hi, Just an observation that there are multiple places to comment on STH posts, and many don't garner replies? The least effective appears to be the "STH Main Site Posts" section on the forum? Sometimes a discussion gets going on comments below articles on the main site, though STH rarely...
  10. Y

Shared SAN

Hi, Forgive my ignorance but I'm new to VMWare/storage. My project needs shared storage for a VMWare cluster. Our DC manager has sworn off vSAN. What would you recommend for: Just storage for 10-20 VMs with snapshots Not performance critical O(50TB) capacity? 16GFC Long-term reliability/low...
  11. Y

Optimal Core Count/Interconnect balance?

Hi, Is there an optimal number of cores for interconnect within a socket? The older intel Xeons had the ring bus, the newer SPs have mesh, I've not researched the EPYC interconnect. Is there a number of cores for each generation at which the interconnect is balanced, above which there is...
  12. Y

Socket Direct OCP NIC 3.0?

Hi, Mellanox have had "socket direct" adaptors since ConnectX-5 which avoid cross-socket bottlenecks by plugging into 2 PCIe slots: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/networking/ethernet/socket-direct/ Unfortunately they don't seem to be widely available/adopted? There was a talk at the last OCP...
  13. Y

Firmware management?

Hi, How is everyone managing firmware for (heterogeneous) fleets of servers? I've done individual servers via IDRAC or ILO GUIs but there must be a better way? Is it possible to curate a local firmware repo then command all machines auto-update? Thanks!
  14. Y

Future data center power/cooling?

Hi, I've seen hints in posts that future processors will be higher TDP, generally power density going up, and even some references to liquid cooling! I can see the power-density with modern servers packed with NVME drives, GPUs, and high-speed networking. I guess the future processor TDP is...