Search results

1. E

Is the HP P822 RAID controller any good?

Hi Philip, strangely enough one of the things I had to do today got cancelled so I managed to rebuild my old PC and found out that the version of firmware on my P822 is V8.32, but as I suspected, the firmware package that I used to update it to that version is not on that desktop's drives and...
  2. E

Hi Philip, that P822 also ran hot, I ended up putting a fan on top of the PSU to blow air directly on to it to cool it down. Incidentally the new 9362-8I also runs hot. It had reached way past 85C so so I reseated the heat sink, replaced the thermal compound and screwed a small fan directly to...
  3. E

Hi, just checked and it is not there, the old computer is in bits so unfortunately I can't boot it up to check what version it is. I will be running it the next couple of weeks as I have to scrub the drives to sell off the bits and pieces so if I do find the version number, I will send you a...
  4. E

Hi Philip, can't tell you exactly as it was quite a while ago (2019) and I recently bought a new PC including 5 x 6TB drives drives and 9362-8I RAID card. Having said that I will have a look to see if I kept a copy of the firmware on my current drives.
  5. E

ESXi free 8.0 seems to be the last one !

Unfortunately I have had to give up on running a type 1 hypervisor, it appears that my new system has too many incompatible hardware bits for them to install properly. I tried a couple of different types and then gave up. So I ended up installing Server 2022 and I have installed VMware Pro...
  6. E

Air flow direction for a top mounted AIO cooling system

Thanks for all the replies, this new box is way cooler than my last one, so heat isn't much of an issue, I was just curious as to why they set up the top radiator fans in the way they did, I just added another 4 x 140m fans to this case so a total of 7 pulling air in and 1 out, so the case...
  7. E

Yep, me too. I also just get really annoyed when the manufacturers make really powerful hardware and only provide drivers for WIN 10 and 11 plus a couple of others but none for Server 20xx, at least the included wifi 6 connection is working under Server 2019 otherwise I would not even be able...
  8. E

What's the general consensus for another Type 1 hypervisor that will run 1 or 2 VM's and not require a technical knowledge of Linux and so forth, and free would be good! I am thinking of a Win 11 and a Server 2019 or 2022 VM. (not at the same time.) Thanks.
  9. E

Air flow direction for a top mounted AIO cooling system

Need some opinions, the time had come to finally buy a computer as my old one was 11 years old. So I went to the local IT shop and ordered one to my specs, now that I have had some time to play around with it, I am questioning the direction of the air flow through the top mounted AIO radiator...
  10. E

HPE Smart Array P840/4GB FBWC 12Gbps VS LSI MegaRAID SAS 9361-8i 1GB RAID cards

Hi everyone, Been doing a heap of reading and have come up none the wiser so thought that I would ask the collective members for your opinions so here is a bit of the background. I have an ageing ASUS P9X79-E WS computer with a HP H241 RAID card to run my LTO-5 External Tape drive with a...
  11. E

RAID 0 with 1 drive

I am just wandering if the fact that I setup up that drive as a single drive RAID O was the reason it failed or just a faulty hard SSD.
  12. E

RAID 0 with 1 drive

Hi everyone, just after some input: I have a spare 9267-8i card with 512MB cache, I connected it to a 2 year old 512GB Samsung Evo 560 SSD and used the Avago MegaRAID software wizard to create a single RAID O drive with no redundancy. I primarily wanted to used that card just to use the 512mb...
  13. E

Any reason not to get HPE LT0 6 Tape drives?

I bought an external LTO-5 external tape drive for $200 last year, and HP's policy is you have you have a service contract before they will let you download the latest Firmware which would most likely cost more that I paid for the drive itself. Tandberg, Quantum, IBM allow you to download that...
  14. E

IBM XIV drives

Hi , just wondering if anyone knows anything about IBM XIV 4TB SAS drives, are they a standard SAS drive that will work on any Generic SAS controllers, or do they require dedicate IBM controllers/harware and also specific software/firmware to initialize and format them. Thanks. Cheers.
  15. E

Success at last, after many attempts I managed to finally get the correct firmware from the HP site for the P822 card and it upgraded, and also now works in my system, it managed to initialize a pair of SATA drives and also a set of 5 x 2GB SAS drives which are now set as a RAID 5 with a spare...
  16. E

Just an update, I installed the card and Server 2016 recognized it as well as the BIOS when the system booted up. I could not get into it from the BIOS though. I ran the HP software and it found the 6 x SAS HGST 2GB Hard drives connected to it but from then it developed problems, it worked...
  17. E

Errors in RAID LOG - Drives disappearing

Hi Guys, My Raid 5 setup seems to being strange things lately. When the computer wakes up from hibernation, the RAID drives sometimes don't show up, looking at the Log there seems to be a CRC error detected, not sure if the error is in the drives or the controller itself, it lists error in FW in...
  18. E

Thanks for your replies guys, I did consider the IBM1215, but by the time you factor in the US$ conversion, plus delivery and the 10%GST charge on the total, it would have been almost double what the P822 cost but the biggest disadvantage for me with the IBM M1215 cards that I found is that...
  19. E

Thanks BeToP for the links, the second didn't have much value in regards to the P822 but from the first link it seems that it could be a hit or miss affair with it. So long as it doesn't continually hang on UEFI BIOS boot up it should be OK as I will be setting up the array under the Server...
  20. E

I am starting to upgrade my PC to get a better RAID setup and as these P822 RAID controller cards with 2GB FBWC cache and battery, new (unused) are less than Au$100 delivered (E-Bay) , I am contemplating getting one. My system currently is: ASUS P9X79E-WS (UEFI BIOS) 16GB RAM 4x 320GB...