Search results

1. tinfoil3d

Check out the aurora tonight

2. tinfoil3d

[JP-lock?] [Freebies] 15-month norton key for free

I've no business using antivirus software on linux, just got this for free in a retail store, if anyone wants the key, first person to post here gets it in PM. IDK if this is restricting activation to japanese IPs or japanese locale devices only, YMMV
  3. tinfoil3d

[JP yahoo auctions] NOT SPECIFIC DEAL switches, firewalls, etc potentially cheap, shipping from JP unknown

Not a "good deal", I just thought maybe some of you may be interested in a little bit outdated gear for peanuts. Idk what the shipping will look like, and it's all auctions yet i see some items like juni 4200-24t for many weeks untouched now at 1 JPY. Sometimes more interesting units with SFP28...
  4. tinfoil3d

Heads up, CableMod 12VHPWR adaptors recall announced

Not much of a news in general, 12VHPWR was a trouble from day 1.
  5. tinfoil3d

Starlink V2 ethernet, then whole thing dead - unfolding story

TLDR, if you have "ethernet adaptor" for your gen2 and port starts randomly going down and only power reset helps, it appears to be a well-known bug that starlink, in the US, is fixing by sending free replacement units. As it happened, starlink was down one day, mikrotik reported no link, i...
  6. tinfoil3d

[SOLVED, dead CPU] installed pair of 2687w v4 to R430: no display output, iDRAC 8 pasword unknown, no serial output, how to troubleshoot?

Or maybe you know of any way to reset iDRAC to default root:calvin? I don't have anything on VGA on either ports. I guess I should have reset iDRAC before doing the upgrade but who knew. No beeps no little LCD display on my model, just "health" flashing amber. Fans are near idle. I did NOT test...
  7. tinfoil3d

EXPIRED [JP] [Yahoo Auctions] 24x Dell 3.5in trays for Rx20 family, starting bid 2000 jpy (~14 USD), free ship in Japan

Note this is auction, and unless you have a reasonable shipping quote for this weight(probably around 3-4kg, should be over 2kg), no reason to check it out. Besides, again it's an action and will likely end at higher rate. I spent quite a lot buying these trays in the past. On a side note I do...
  8. tinfoil3d

Efficient space heating

With winter just around the corner, what are you guys computing this year to keep your house warm? I was donating ~1.5kw of compute power to folding@home project last year and would likely do the same this year if not enough heat otherwise produced by customers compute resources. I've got around...
  9. tinfoil3d

MRV LX-5250 switched PDU telnet control python script

So I have this very simple PDU unit and I thought I'd be happily driving it over SNMP but no. First time powering it, aaaaand It doesn't have SNMP, HTTP or SSH. Nothing but telnet. Okay, so I wrote this script, hope it helps someone looking for automation. LX-5250 default username and password...
  10. tinfoil3d

Review and comments: Broadata LBO-DVI for 60fps fullHD over OM3+ fiber extension

Finding even a 1920x1080x60fps uncompressed display extender that takes 1 MM fiber under 100 bucks can be challenging. Most HDMI extenders go above that. In my case I've got a set of these DVI extenders for 80 bucks which is still quite bad but I needed something soon. DVI solutions are...
  11. tinfoil3d

I need some ideas on where can I snatch M.2 2230 NVME/SATA for the cheapest

Like, maybe try an old thin client that you know contains a certain NVME or SATA, an old switch, fortigate, game console, anything that comes to mind. In Japan the cheapest used M.2 NVME 2230 I can find is ~2500 JPY shipped which is kinda expensive. I can survive with any drive at all. Thing is...
  12. tinfoil3d

[JP] [Auction] MCX4131A-GCAT initial bid 5000 JPY (~35 USD) ending at 8/21 22:30 JST

Not sure if this is a good price or anything or if you can win it at that but quick ebay search didn't turn up anything close by. It's one used NIC with only low-profile bracket. Remove if irrelevant. https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h1102859539
  13. tinfoil3d

Gigabyte RTX 30 series cracking PCB, RMAs denied

As reported by Louis Rossmann. https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-rtx-30-rtx-40-series-gpu-pcbs-are-reportedly-cracking
  14. tinfoil3d

U.2 hotswap for budget system (ROMED8-2T and such)

Hey guys. Wonder if anyone can share own insights on adding U.2 hot-swap in any shape or form to arbitrary EPYC boards. I have several various boards to choose from( EPYCD8, ROMED8, Tyan S8030 and others, some older, some newer non-EPYC), and would love to have a hotswap feature on two of those...
  15. tinfoil3d

Picking up soap for using VPN? May be coming in a nearest future in the US!

Scary stuff guys, the RESTRICT act is gonna get you behind bars Contact your representative now.
  16. tinfoil3d

EU [EU-SI] Lenovo m75n-iot (not verified) new with linux 179 EUR/win 11 pro 199 EUR

Hey guys. Not sure if it's a good deal, message if not but just looking around these cost above $300 new elsewhere. I'm not in EU and never heard of this shop but it seems like they have a good offer on m75n-iot variants...
  17. tinfoil3d

WARNING Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB firmware version 3B2QGXA7 (mfg ~2021) WILL DIE, update firmware ASAP!

Just saw this recently, it's quite old news by now, but there's a firmware issue affecting 2 TB(no or less reports on lower capacity versions of 980 pro) version of M.2 samsung 980 pro SSDs, that would, as i understand it, start marking some blocks bad and pulling replacement from spare section...
  18. tinfoil3d

Arista official EOS firmware access with "factory sealed" but EOL switch?

Hello guys, anyone familiar with arista, I wonder if buying a sealed switch(that's EOL now) can get me an access to new firmware? There's a relatively good deal for new 7050 series switch from a recycle vendor that I already had business with. But I wonder if it's any different at all if I just...
  19. tinfoil3d

JP yahoo auctions P320 Tiny barebone starting bid ~33 USD

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m1073264193 Your chances are pretty high if you bid the last minute if nobody else bids. I didn't see when this unit came up, is it the first run for it or not. I've bought from the seller before. This only includes the case, motherboard, HDD...
  20. tinfoil3d

HP onsite warranty claim for 3rd party sale?

So I've been looking for a specific CPU on our local auction in japan and came across a "for parts" computer with CPU that I need. The PC in question is elitedesk 800. And it has it's serial number unmasked on the picture and checking that on hp warranty check page reveals it still has couple of...