Search results

1. J

Cringe

The basic issue here for the originally described problem is an apparent lack of understanding of the need to do the basic engineering. You need to understand your workload, and you need to understand your expected lifetime, and other factors such as the availability of RAID. The 850 Evo's...
  2. J

Xeon D-1541 MoBo w/SFP+ & HBA?

Pretty sure that'd be the dual setup under discussion. A Xeon D-1537 X10SDV-7TP4F seems to run around 37 watts idle (two RDIMM's and a platinum PSU) and an E5-1620v4 on an X10SRL-F with two RDIMM's and a Seasonic G-650 PSU on the bench here is idling right around 38 watts as well, though that...
  3. J

Vsphere C# or VMRC client on 4k display

And the irony is that the fix for the C# client is to disable high DPI in the compatibility layer. So, yeah, that seems to suck.
  4. J

Vsphere C# or VMRC client on 4k display

I'm glad I'm not the only one frustrated by these type of issues. I haven't found 4K to be useful for small screens. I did buy a nice Samsung UN49KS8500 (49" 4K TV) for use as a monitor and it's pretty awesome in the "lots of glass" department - thinking about another one or two. ;-)...
  5. J

Choosing the right RJ 45 connectors for right cable?

I don't know what "value for money" means. If it means "you don't need to have done 1000 of these to be able to do them correctly and reliably", that's probably the Platinum EZ-RJ45 crimps, where a beginner is more likely to be able to get a decent crimp. Those of us with five figures worth of...
  6. J

how'd you improve zfs performance?

iSCSI is basically async by default, while (at least for ESXi) everything written via NFS is sync. An iSCSI datastore used for VM storage needs to be set to sync if you care about VM disk consistency in the event of your filer crashing or other similar problems. On the flip side, you can...
  7. J

Choosing the right RJ 45 connectors for right cable?

The way you distinguish between these is that you keep them separate and put them on the right cables, and hope everyone else does too. It can be wicked hard to reliably tell what happened after the fact. Lower speed RJ45 connectors, including Cat5, have some identifiable characteristics...
  8. J

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Not to put too fine a point on it, but in the context of the question being asked, why would you care? If you're building a NAS, you're going to be limited by the network speeds. Even if you managed to get two 10Gbps connections with LACP and a well-balanced high traffic workload, there's no...
  9. J

Sorry, no, that's kind of like asking "how fast could my car go." Performance on a low clock ZFS platform will always be somewhat limited, so I can generally say anything built on the Pentium D-1508 will be towards the slower side, but filling all your ports with a bunch of 4TB 2.5" laptop...
  10. J

Putting on my FreeNAS cap: 1) RAIDZ1 is not recommended unless the data is not particularly important; RAIDZ1 loses redundancy in a drive loss scenario, and any URE's of pool data are unrepairable unless maybe they happen to be metadata. 2) 10Gbps with FreeNAS is a little dicey even on a...
  11. J

RDM isn't as reliable as PCIe passthrough. Over on the FreeNAS Forums, we've seen a lot of train wrecks with it, and since RDM isn't intended for this use, you won't get any support from VMware. There's also talk that RDM may eventually be deprecated. I'm basically the resident virtualization...
  12. J

I've yet to see anything compelling in the Xeon D NAS space, alas. A lot of it seems to be continued regurgitation of last year's strategies. I'll read your response as an opportunity to vent/explain/whatever. For redundancy, you want more smaller drives rather than fewer larger ones. For a...
  13. J

Yeah, it's just too bad that it is quite a bit more expensive. The Xeon D stuff is frustrating because it ties your hands. We build servers here for data center and commercial use, and one of the things I'd love is an X10SDV-7TP4F in a SC216BAC-R920LPB, which along with a RAID controller would...
  14. J

Huh, well, whaddayaknow. I went digging a little and found the SNK-C0057A4L available as a separate part. For retail, looks like WiredZone carries them. From the manufacturer's point of view, there isn't much value in encouraging end users to tinker with the cooling arrangement on these new...
  15. J

I believe the board in question uses the shorter heatsink, so that is probably the closest to a direct fix that you'll find. Boards like the X10SDV-7TP4F come with the taller 1" heatsink. It isn't actually necessary to have a fan attached to the heatsink, but it will be difficult to get...
  16. J

SAS2008 HBA in IR mode for RAID 1, expected performance?

For single drive performance, IR is somewhat slower than IT, which is the reason it is suggested to flash these things to IT for ZFS rather than put them in the more flexible IR mode. Observed about 10-15% speed penalty for IR vs IT here in the past, but that was years ago, and I don't know if...
  17. J

Hot swap bay screws: I officially dislike them

The Panasonics are nice but a little hard to get ahold of. Milwaukee makes a very similar tool, and it is readily available at many hardware stores, can be found for less online, and comes in various versions such as the 2101-22 with two batteries and a charger, or the 2101-20 which is just the...
  18. J

20+ hard disks -> which psu?

You're suggesting a 350 watt power supply can run 20+ hard disks? That's crazy. The spinup current alone is in the neighborhood of 42 amps or around 500 watts. That's not powering the drive electronics, that's not powering the host system, that's not leaving any margin for error. If you were...
  19. J

ASRock Rack D1541D4U-2O8R review – mATX Xeon D with SFP+

I'm not aware of a part number that comes with a 500W RPS. Aside from the JBOD unit with the 740's, the smallest PSU sold with the 216's is the 216A-R900LPB. If you're suggesting that we should go and integrate a different PSU, that gets messy kinda fast.
  20. J

ASRock Rack D1541D4U-2O8R review – mATX Xeon D with SFP+

The X10SDV-7TP4F is much less expensive (~$850-$900) and performs pretty well. We've got one in the shop here and have been playing with it. It's pleasantly close to being an ideal board if you don't need high core speeds. Our normal hypervisor recipe uses 4x 10G, so by adding a dual 10G card...