Search results

1. M

(Gone) Cheap SFP+ Transceivers: Lot Of 20 New AOI A7EL-SN85-ADMA, $19.99 shipped in the U.S.

New for less than $1 each. I've used these transceivers in my homelab (not from this seller though), for several years with Solarflare 7000 & 8000 series NICs, as well as Mellanox ConnectX-2, ConnectX-3, and more recently Connect X-4 with no issues. I have no idea how they would hold up in an...
  2. M

Mellanox ConnectX-4 LX (Lenovo Branded), $20 Shipped. (Edit: Sold Out)

ConnectX-4 LX, PCIe version with low profile bracket. These have a Lenovo Part Number (01GR253) & appear to be the same as MCX4121A-ACAT. $20 w/ free shipping. I bought two of these from this seller recently when they were at a higher price ($24.99). Mine came packed well and had the newest...
  3. M

Cheap non-Mellanox PCIe card for 40GbE QSFP+?

I found a few ConnectX-3 cards (CX354a) for around $12 each to try P2P 40GbE with some of my lab stuff and desktop. Linux was no issue, but the Desktop (i5-12600k + Win11) was continual BSODs. I eventually tracked the issue down to CX3 not playing well with the i5's efficient-cores on Windows...
  4. M

Dual port 10G SFP+ card: If only one port is in use does it get "all the bandwidth"?

If a dual port 10G SFP+ Card (PCIe 3.0 card like ConnectX-3, Solarflare SFN7122/8522, etc) has only one port in use, can that active port use all of the PCIe slot's available bandwidth? Said another way, does the card (or drivers, etc.) apportion/reserve bandwidth for the unused port? I want...
  5. M

Oculink with PCIe 3.0 M.2 NVMe Drives: Cabling?

I'm wanting to add some PCIe 3.0 M.2 NVMe drives (Samsung PM953/63/83) to my home NAS (Supermicro X11SRM-VF) via the motherboard's four Oculink SFF-8612 4x. Other than getting some sort of cage with a backplane, is it possible to just use a cable terminating in an m.2 adapter board? For...
  6. M

NVMe S.M.A.R.T. Attribute "Critical Composite Temperature Time", when should I worry?

In a recently purchased lot of used Samsung NVMe drives, I had one with non-zero entries for: "Warning Temperature Time" = 65 "Critical Composite Temperature Time" = 45 Googling gets me a lot of hits telling me what these are a measure of, but nothing I could find described how serious a...
  7. M

X10SLH-LN6TF no boot: 2 Short Beeps Repeating

Google search tells me "Parity Circuit Failure" but not much else other than that its probably the Motherboard, Memory, Memory Controller on the CPU, or power to any of them. Which means...almost anything I guess other than drives? :oops: What's happening: New build. When I plug it in...
  8. M

Asus Z9PR-D12 - Configuring RAM when using 9-12 RDIMMs?

Anyone with experience know the options for this? The manual (and google searches) are really vague on details. Up till now, I've been running mine in my homelab with 4x32GB RDIMM (2x32GB per CPU). I'm reassessing my various older system's configurations though and not sure what works and...
  9. M

Laptops with "Uninterruptible WiFi" at Best Buy (not really!)

My local Best Buy recently reopened after remodeling, so I decided to check it out before picking my daughter up from school. The Computer section was pretty empty, just me and a salesperson a few feet away explaining laptop features to an elderly couple. I wasn't really paying attention to...
  10. M

Any downsides to old(er) Layer 2/3 switches?

Finally getting around to learning about/setting up VLANS on my (all Gigabit) home network. Currently, I'm both short on ports and two of my three existing switches are unmanaged. Used prices on Ebay (U.S.) are all over the place, with newer switches seemingly going for a LOT. So I'm...
  11. M

So confused about terminology for Wireless APs (Mesh, Fast Roaming, etc)

Seems like for every explanation I get/read elsewhere (vendor forums, L1T, Smallnetbuilder, even [gasp] Reddit), I get/find another explanation that contradicts the first. In some cases the people posting get really snippy with each other. Some people are just really passionate about their...
  12. M

Back to the drawing board...Router & AP(s) for Home Network

TL : DR - Needing to update my home network. A modest (wired?) router with basic security features for the wiring cabinet at the corner of the house (something like Ubiquity ER-X, ER-4, or even ER-12?), plus a centrally located AP(s) with decent coverage (similar to a used Ruckus 710 for...
  13. M

Fedex is really on the ball!

So impressed that Fedex seems to be getting better at estimating delivery times lately. Why, just yesterday they notified me (twice!) that my package would be delayed, and they hadn't even picked it up from the shipper yet! Now that's service. :D
  14. M

[WTB] (Found) 2U WIO Rear Window for Supermicro 825/826/213/216

Looking for a 2U WIO style Rear Window for 825/826/213/216. Can be for chassis with rear drive cage (MCP-240-82609-0N) or without (MCP-240-00102-0N). There may be other parts that fit, but those are the two I know for sure. I found lots of reasonably priced new ones (~$25). But all seem to...
  15. M

10G Networking Humor

I'm planning my next "You just can't leave well enough alone, can you?" rework of the homelab/tech cave... plus a new PC/Workstation build for myself, and I didn't want to wait on the home 1G network for all the extra backing-up and restoring I'd need to do. Plus it would risk familial wrath if...
  16. M

Supermicro A2SDi-HLN4F Series: Has anyone used NVDIMM with these?

Just wondering if anyone has used NVDIMM as SLOG with any of these series boards? A2SDi-4C-HLN4F, A2SDi-8C-HLN4F, etc. Motherboard manual lists some BIOS entries for NVDIMM, but there's no mention of it anywhere else in the manual, or product pages, device QVLs and etc. So thought I'd ask...
  17. M

EXPIRED Ryzen Threadripper 1900X: $115 after Promo Code @Newegg

For that X399 board you bought and never got around to using. Its a "limited time" sale, and price is after a promo code (which is conveniently listed on the product page). According to the listing, its sold and shipped by Newegg (not one of the shady Marketplace sellers). I've got no...
  18. M

HP Branded GPUs - Anyone know why "Smart Buy" cost so much less?

I'm looking at Quadro prices online (where suppliers actually have any inbound) and I notice that HP Branded "Smart Buy" part numbers cost significantly less...sometimes more than half as much....than other brands, including HP's own non-Smart Buy parts. Comparing specs, they seem to be...
  19. M

Revising my expectations during the chip shortage

I'm not sure how I should feel that after a while spent looking, I finally found a semi, kind of, sort of, almost, modern generation GPU, new, for close to MSRP? Thrilled that I found one at all, or saddened that its so hard to find? Maybe both? Only a GT 1030, but enough to play with...
  20. M

Probably(?) Dumb Supermicro 1U Chassis questions (Power Supply & Rear Window)

Just researching what to buy next and didn't find answers on Google to these seemingly conflicting bits of info. Asking because I'm cheap, but also because I'm curious. But, mostly because I'm cheap. 1. 1U Chassis with Redundant Power Supplies: Are 50mm (e.g. PWS-703P-1R) and 54mm (e.g...