Search results

1. B

Is bigger always better? What size of hard drives for your archives?

The doc says tracks will not be aligned. I don't know how hard drives work but I assume each platter wiggles a little bit so tracks will be shifting around all the time. At least we should be able to read from both surfaces of the platter. I don't think this is a bus issue; SAS bus is already...
  2. B

[US-WA]Quanta D51B-2U 24SFF Server, DDR4 Memory, NVMes, 8TB HDs, Intel CPUs, SuperMicro Trays, ASUS X299 Motherboard

Added the Quanta server and removed sold items. Quanta D51 must go as I have no use for it. It is very capable and reasonable quiet server.
  3. B

This is very strange. I expect all platters to be used. Physically it should be possible but Article says tracks cannot be aligned but I thought read and write units were along the lines of cyclinder. I don't quite understand why they are not investing into using multiple platters from a single...
  4. B

Ah this is a good one. Density increase can come from having more tracks not having more bits in the same length of the track. This explains it very well. Is there any other limitation in regards to platter? For example, I expect a 10 platter drive having 10x more throughput than 1 platter...
  5. B

I don't see how this explains. 1TB drive has 180MB/sec vs 24TB has 290MB/sec. If sequential I/O is only related to density, 24TB drive should have hit 4000MB/sec. It seems like heads there is some other factor.
  6. B

It seems like this is the only viable explanation, perhaps we need an hard drive expert to confirm. With higher density, more data is being read but it seems like the circuitry to process that data is growing at the same rate limiting the sequential I/O. I am going to stick with smaller size...
  7. B

I noticed as drive sizes gets bigger and bigger; it is becoming harder and harder to fill up disks. Perhaps, it is better to have large disk arrays and keep the disk count high for higher I/O bandwidth. I am not interested in with Random I/O but even for sequential I/O bandwidths seems to be...
  8. B

Just what @patrick needs

How can you cover the labor costs at $25, even at $40 :) Shipping, cost of packaging, labor of removing, cost of sales.
  9. B

Ebay - used HGST HC520 SATA 12tb with vendor 5 year warranty - $83 - sketchy vendor warning!

Is it a good idea to jump to 12+ TB drives or stick around 6-8TB for the increased I/O. For some reason, these drives are larger in capacity but their sequential read/write throughput is same as smaller 4TB drives. It will take 1+ day to fill them in or run checksums etc.
  10. B

Just what @patrick needs

I am not sure if CPUs really worth anything. Market is already flooded with them, so many cpus from good days of intel. Not sure there are enough MBs to hold them.
  11. B

ASUS Pro WS W790E-SAGE SE + Intel Xeon Sapphire Rapids SP ES = works it

How is this possible? Isn't memory bandwidth determined by memory freq and channel count? Also can someone share the differences between E0 and D0 chips? I understand E0 has "fewer bugs" but what are those bugs and any other change? Also how can I get a list of all E0 chips, I am considering...
  12. B

New Homelab build, should I go 14700k or 14900k?

Why 14700K for just quick sync? Isn't this overkill even if the idle power usage is minimal? Do you game or run business workloads? Is this only for transcoding/NAS or is this also the set up for productivity/gaming?
  13. B

I would consider $1100 is quite as lot of money for a 16 core system, even if the cores are pretty capable unless you need PCI-E 4.0. Why would you spend $1100 if $400 can meet your requirements. Can a LGA 2011-3 or LGA 3647 based system meet your performance needs? It seems to me, you need...
  14. B

Seems like quite an expensive option. Do you really need such a strong platform? have you considered power cost of running this platform 24/7? Perhaps you need a simple nas with low power and a second system for hedt with plenty of memory and pcie lanes. You turn on hedt system only when you...
  15. B

HGST HSH721414AL42M0 14TB SAS 4Kn $88 or less

For HBAs check datasheets for each hba for hm smr support. You need at least SAS3 era cards but not all sas3 era hbas support hm smr. Each card is different and an explicit firmware support is required afais.
  16. B

This is amazing price, no sales tax as well. Pricing on this site is weird. Everything else is super expensive: https://www.techyparts.com/parts-components/drives-storage/hard-drives.html And the above listing is not accessible from their hard drives page. Very strange. Edit: I tried to...
  17. B

So far these drives worked EMC KTN-STL15, Supermicro SC837 (SAS2 with multipath) and only one of my NetApp 4243, which I believe is more recent than the others. With Zoned I/O, btrfs functionality is broken in some cases. You can write once and read many times but delete does not work most of...
  18. B

These drives are picky, They will only work with modern HBAs. Some disk enclosures won't work also. They are only supported by unix with btrfs and f2fs and both of them are pain to use due to bugs which could lead to data loss. source; I am using these drives 24/7
  19. B

Experiences with NetApp DS4243

Reviving the thread and hoping that someone can help here. Is there a way to managed the firmware on NetApp enclosures? I noticed that there are different versions out there and some of them are lacking support for host managed SMR drives. Note that this is not about the controller, since...