Search results

1. TeeJayHoward

Instead of blanking plates...

I'm upgrading to a 14U rack this month, and I'll be moving my networking gear from front to rear. That leaves three units of empty/ugly up front (with the rear half of the same units full), and I'd like to close it up. Initially I was just going to pick up some cheap blanking plates, but now I'm...
  2. TeeJayHoward

Which switch?

Looking for recommendations for a 10GbE switch for my home rack. Like most of us here, I've got a bit of a hard-on for enterprise gear. Unfortunately I'm not as knowledgeable on the networking front as some of you guys, so here I am. Please let me know what's out there! 24+ SFP+ ports (would...
  3. TeeJayHoward

Connect-X2 and ESXi 6.7?

My old Connect-X2 cards are starting to show their age. I last used them with 6.0, and life was good. Infiniband worked (once I ripped out the VMware drivers and installed the 1.8 drivers), Ethernet mode worked, everything just did what I thought it would. Well, that was then. This is now. 6.7...
  4. TeeJayHoward

oVirt / RHEV Power Management?

I just finished swapping over from vSphere to oVirt. One of the features I loved about vSphere is that vCenter will migrate VMs around and automatically power off hosts until the minimum number of hosts are powered on for the VMs you've got running. If more resources are needed than the cluster...
  5. TeeJayHoward

HDD mounting holes in wrong spots?

My new Seagate ST12000VN0007 drives seem to have new underside mounting hole locations. I can no longer use my Fractal Design trays. I thought these locations were standardized. When'd this change?
  6. TeeJayHoward

oVirt viewer for OSX

By default, oVirt uses spice to display a VMs screen. I've had nothing but problems trying to get spice to work with OSX. VNC is an option, but manually copying the data out of the downloaded .vv files into a VNC viewer before the link times out is even more of a pain. I stumbled across a post...
  7. TeeJayHoward

No Infiniband devices after 5 minutes?

This is a weird one. I boot up a blade with a Connect-X2 in it. Everything seems to be working just fine for about five minutes. (Maybe 10, haven't really timed it.) Then, poof. The card is "gone". What gives? This nodes's supposed to be my manager. Not having a card makes it pretty difficult to...
  8. TeeJayHoward

Quiet 12+ port 10G switch?

Tech's come a ways since I last made a networking upgrade. I haven't been keeping track of it. Has anyone made a 12+ port 10 gig switch in the last few years that's actually quiet? SFP+ or 10GbE works. New, used, modified... Whatever, as long as it's stable.
  9. TeeJayHoward

Is an SSD not enough for an ESXi datastore?

Setup: ESXi node, connected via ConnectX-2 to Windows Server 2012 R2 NAS through a Mellanox unmanaged switch, which runs Services for NFS to share out a single Samsung 850 Pro as a datastore. NAS also runs OpenSM and vCenter Server. Problem: 100% disk active time at random times. Queue depth of...
  10. TeeJayHoward

Random thoughts

I've been looking into OpenStack a lot lately, trying to learn how it works. Work decided to send me to an OpenStack training class. Holy moly is this a damned good class. I'm not sure if it's the instructor, the curriculum, what... But I wouldn't have minded paying out of pocket for it, at...
  11. TeeJayHoward

Time / Clock help

Can someone intimately familiar with the workings of timekeeping help tell me what these systems do? What is a timecode translator? What is a timecode processor? What is a timecode generator? What is a timecode reader? And how do all these interact with each other? My understanding of...
  12. TeeJayHoward

GPS-sync'd NTP

I used to spend hours looking at the equipment used for satellite ground control on ebay. I always told myself that someday I'd have a setup like that. I wanted the Cesium beam clock, the GPS time dohickey, and all of those sexy BNC connectors. Well, we got on the topic of satellites today at...
  13. TeeJayHoward

GPUs in SC846?

Thinking about getting rid of my desktop case and using my SC846 chassis for my main PC. The only thing stopping me is the lack of GPU power in the SC846. Does anyone know if you can swap in the power distributor for the SC747 into the SC846? Part # PDB-PT747-4648 .
  14. TeeJayHoward

Hardware failure

I've been wondering what the first item to break in my new stack of hardware would be. I was betting on the 2TB HDDs. They're Seagate, after all, and under a decent load about 25% of the day. Well, it finally happened. Something broke. Is it the Infiniband switch whose fans I replaced with...
  15. TeeJayHoward

10GbE and TCP Window Size?

I've got a pair of X520-SR2s connected directly to each other. One box is running Windows 8, the other Windows 2012 R2. If I do an iperf between the two machines, I get a result of 1Gbit/s. If I run iperf with a 1M window, I get 9.9Gbit/s. If I bridge the two interfaces, I get a result of...
  16. TeeJayHoward

IPv6

Every place I've worked at has just flat out disabled IPv6. I interviewed with a company today who uses strictly IPv6. If I get the job, I'm going to need to know it inside and out. So, anyone here familiar with IPv6? Can you recommend some videos to watch, web sites to read, books to purchase...
  17. TeeJayHoward

E3 v4 (Broadwell) - No 1230?

It looks like Intel has announced the Broadwell E3 chips, and it's a very limited selection. Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1285L v4 (6M Cache, 3.40 GHz) 65 W P6300 Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1285 v4 (6M Cache, 3.50 GHz) 95 W P6300 Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1278L v4 (6M Cache, 2.00 GHz) 47 W P6300...
  18. TeeJayHoward

Connect-X2 IPoIB?

I've got an ESXi server with a dual port Connect-X2 card in it. I'd like Port1 to be IB, and Port2 to be 10GbE. Right now, both ports are showing up as 40Gb, which makes me think they're both set to IB. How do I change port 2 to Ethernet?
  19. TeeJayHoward

Tim's leftovers

PRICE UPDATES! All prices include shipping anywhere in the continental US. What you see in the pics is what you get. If it's not there, please ask! Click pics for bigger version. Supermicro SC822T-400LPB chassis - $175, 2 available Supermicro X10SL7-F motherboard - $150, 2 available SOLD...
  20. TeeJayHoward

Damnit, Microcenter!

$60-$90 off PER CPU. Before any discounts. Oh, want a SSD with that? Have another $10 off. USB stick? Sure, we'll give you a discount on that, too. Shame their RAM's so expensive. I now have an additional: E3-1231v3 E3-1241v3 E3-1245v3 and 4x Samsung 850 Pro 128GB (for flash cache) I almost...