Search results

1. T

Micron Support for SSDs?

Anyone have a contact at Micron for support? We have 6x Micron 5100 1.92Tb that keep dropping off the bus. All 6 SSDs have dropped out of different servers over the past year. About 1 drive drops per month or two. Pulling and re-inserting the drive brings it back online but when they drop...
  2. T

40Gbe+ TOR Switch Recommendations

I’m looking for recommendations on 40GbE QSFP+ or faster switches. It will be used for S2D Clusters so needs to be fully managed and support DCB, PFC and RDMA. I would prefer something with a GUI, or at least a CLI menu (like the HP switches), 16 – 36 Ports Used reliable enterprise sub $1000...
  3. T

Samsung PM963 MZ1LW960HMJP info

I picked up a couple of these Samsung PM963 MZ1LW960HMJP-000MV from eBay and I was looking for some background info. I cannot find a lot about them on the web. They look like maybe OEM? Was looking to use them as cache in an Storage Spaces Direct cluster. Is there any firmware available...
  4. T

Need NVMe PCIe Adapter Recommendation

I am new to NVMe drives. I bought 6x Samsung MZ-1LW9600 drives and the plan is to test them as cache drives for Storage Spaces Direct. Because these are the 1st NVMe drives I have ever used I dont know what I need to connect them to my Supermicro X9DRi-ln4f+ MB. The first thing I need to...
  5. T

Hitachi Ultrastar 7K4000 vs 7K3000

I'm looking for some opinions on Hitachi Enterprise drive versions. I bought 24 Hitachi 7K4000 hard drives, HUS724030ALE641 3 TB, from Goharddrive on eBay. They were supposed to be new OEM but when they arrived it looks like they have 20 K plus hours. They have offered to replace them with...
  6. T

Hitachi Ultrastar 3 TB for $70

Not sure how great a deal these are but I needed HDDs for some SANs. Was hoping to locate SAS drives but ended up buying these HGST 7K4000 HUS724939ALE641 3TB for $69.88 from ebay. Bought 18 for Storage Spaces Direct SANs. They are New OEM, with 1 Yr warranty from seller. Most likely no...
  7. T

Intel G3258 CPU and MSI Z97 MB Bundle $99

If you live near a Microcenter they have Intel CPU and MB combo using the Intel G3258 CPU and MSI Z97 PC Mate mb for only $99. This is cheap given the Z97 motherboard alone normally sells for $110 - $130. I am buying one to build a pfSense firewall. Todd
  8. T

Samsung 840 Pro SSD for $419

Rakuten.com has the Samsung Pro 512gb for $419.
  9. T

Amazon SSD Sale up to 40% off

Amazon has some great deals on SSDs, Crucial M4 Sandisk Samsung Pro There are others, have to hunt around.
  10. T

Voiltaire 4036 noise

My Voltaire 4036 infiniband switch came in and when I set it up I was surprised at how loud it was. Loud enough to be heard in every room in the house, louder than the Dell C6100 it was sitting next to. Fan speeds do drop down after the initial boot but still seem loud. Nothing like my HP...
  11. T

Dell C6100 and Windows Server 2012 no RDMA

I installed ESOS on the C6100 the other day looking to use it as a SAN. The install went well and ESOS even recognized the infiniband card. This process led me however to do some research on connecting Win12k to ESOS and what protocols are available in the Win12k drivers. In that process I...
  12. T

WTB: Dell C6100 Infinband cards

Anyone have some of the Infiniband cards for the C6100 they want to sell or trade - Mellanox dual port QDR Infiniband Daughter Card - JR3P1 I have 4 of the LSI SAS cards available - LSI SAS 1068e Daughter Card - Y8Y69 Todd .
  13. T

WTB: QSFP Infiniband cables

I noticed several people purchased the same Voltaire 4036 Infiniband switch. Going to use it with the C6100 cluster and will need QSFP to QSFP cables, probably in the 1 - 2 meter length. I was wondering if anyone had found a good source. I did find a good price on eBay for 1M out of China...
  14. T

SAN Controller Selection ideas

I am looking for some input on Raid Controller selection. I am building an iSCSI SAN for a Hyper-V 2012 Cluster. The SAN OS will be Open-E DSS7 and it will host 20+ VMs. We will be using a Supermicro case with 16x - 24x bays with built in SAS Expander. We will start with 2 sets of...