Search results

1. A

How to pick a SFP+ Adapter

I have a few lower power Proxmox boxes I want to connect with SFP+ (for Ceph backend) that have a PCIe3 x4 or x16 slot open (half height bracket). I will use 1 or 2m DACs. I don't know what cards to get, Connect 3 non, pro? Solarflare? Supermicro ones? Intel 520? Basically there are too many...
  2. A

New Laptop advice

I am out of the loop on current Dell, HP etc...laptops and need some advice. My wife needs a new laptop. She does photo editing on it, mostly Lightroom and not a lot of processing so I think we are fine with midrange processor and 16gtb ram, maybe 32gb would be nice. She does need a nice better...
  3. A

M.2 to U.2/3 PCIe4x4

I have a NVME PCIe gen 4 SFF U.3 drive (U.2/U.3 use same cable) and I am hoping to plug it into an m.2 gen4 slot on Ryzen board using something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Ableconn-M2-U2131U-Mini-SAS-SFF-8643-Connector/dp/B079NPH9F2/ref=psdc_1292116011_t2_B01LY9HRDB plus cable Amphenol...
  4. A

Optane Gen2 - M.2 and U.2

Anyoneheard when Gen2 Optane in M.2 and U.2 will be available? Are they out there for OEMs or engineering samples? Is @Patrick working on getting one?
  5. A

SC505-203B and PCI Expansion

Does anyone know if one of the Fusion-IO ioscale 3.2tb cards will fit in this case?
  6. A

Ebay scammers

What is best practice for getting money back with minimal hassle? I won an auction for a pure sine wave rackmount UPS and I received instead a consumer grade of equivalent VA same brand, not rack mount, not sine wave. Thanks. Never had to return ebay item before.
  7. A

GPU for Object Identification Recommendations.....?

I am dabbling in object identification in images and videos. I am not much of programmer so just using other peoples work. I would like to accelerate it a little bit with a GPU but remain low power and possibly fit in one of my low power 1U servers that are C2558 or C3558. Any recommendations...
  8. A

Sophos UTM v XG or something else....

Kids are starting to use the Internet supervised when we can but not always. I was thinking to use a some filtering like Sophos UTM and XG look good. Which is better Sophos UTM/XG, why? Or something else? We are concerned about all the stuff you hear about with disturbing Youtube video and...
  9. A

UPS 1U Pure Sine Wave?

I don't have any experience with UPS except an old APC I had and tossed when its battery was dead years ago. I am looking for a UPS to power an atom server, two switches and a router. I would like it to be rackmount 1U but the atom server has an 80+ gold supermicro PSU PWS-203-1H. I think the...
  10. A

Proxmox Space Requirements

Taking the Proxmox plunge soon and looking at the admin doc but, it does not state the space requirements for the Proxmox OS. What is recommended amount of space that I need where I am not going to run out of space on new kernels, upgrades, logs etc... but still keep to a minimum for a SATA dom...
  11. A

Xpenology?

Anyone know if you can install Xpenology on the Netgear ReadyNas 2304 https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-ReadyNAS-Rackmount-Ethernet-Diskless/dp/B071W8DLMR It has a dual core celeron but maybe Netgear locks it down..... Thanks.
  12. A

Battries and soldering

So I have a handheld vac that has internal rechargeable batteries and charging stand and it won't hold a charge anymore. I opened it up easy and it has several sets of unbranded rechargeable AA batteries where two batteries are in parallel with some soldering between their ends with a small...
  13. A

8TB WD My Book $128

Fry's Electronics | Fry's store pickup only. Best I have seen for 8TB. Are the My Books shuckable like the EasyStore?
  14. A

EBay Problem

So I purchased a computer part on EBay sold as new from a seller that has sold a number of them and when I received it, it is an OEM part. The docs included with the packing slip that I almost threw out without looking at state I am suppose to return the defective part it is replacing with an...
  15. A

U.2 Cables

Why are U.2 cables so expensive? I am the only one that thinks they should be like $10 instead of $30+
  16. A

Intel 7mm SSD

Stupid question, but if I get a used Intel 7mm SATA SSD like a S3510, 3610 3710, for my workstation am I going to have a problem with the connector sizes or voltages or anything vs a standard 2.5 SATA SSD? Thanks.