Need a Heatsink for 17-4790K overclock

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BigXor

May 6, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
bigxor.com
Need a Heatsink for 17-4790K overclocked in a norco 4U 7 inch wide case.

Hard to find a heatsink that will not be taller than case when installed

So many to chose from; thought I would ask the community and see what people are using.

BigXor

May 6, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
bigxor.com
Put this in my wishlist, but can't tell if it will have enough cooling power. I may be able to finagle a 2 or three fan water cooler on the outside of the case (will need recommend for water cooler). Case will need some modding. I use the case turned on it's right side so that it takes up less room on work table. So the left side is available for radiator.

That is if a proper air tower cannot be found.

HellDiverUK

Jul 16, 2014
How about the Corsair H100i or similar? The radiator fits across any two 120mm fan holes. The one I just got is my first ever watercooling rig, and I must say I'm sort of gutted that I never used these things before. They're that good. The Corsair Link software is pretty neat, too.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I'm not used to seeing the radiator and fan inside of the case, usually I see them top or rear mounted to get the air out. Looks like rear is rather small fan mounts. If you are drawing warm air over the radiator, you won't get as much cooling potential I assume?

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Seems like high temps to me. I mean, you can use that cooler to cool a i7-3930k at stock and that's by default a hotter chip so you'd think you'd see headroom on yours.

BigXor

May 6, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
bigxor.com
Can't say, other than .022 micron design w/GPU integrated. Clock multiplier set to 44. RAM set to 1866. All other settings on auto. Voltage set to auto and goes to 1.224 according to CPU-Z. CPU drawing 125 watts.

Using Arctic Silver 5 TIM and running Intel Burn Test set to Very High creeps up to 82C before throttling down briefly.

Idles at 35C

EDIT: Prime95 set to small FFTs holds steady @73C, 105 watts. Looks like Intel test is much harder on CPU.

Last edited: