Here's a $1.3k switch for you: 18x 40Gig QSFP and 40x 10gig SFP+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Ohh my GOODNESS, kinda makes me feel silly I spent roughly that to get my 2910al w/ 2 addon 10G modules (4 10G ports total SFP+) now that I see this.

Goes and hangs head in shame. I needed to still support 1GbE and had a desire NOT to run more than one switch at home. I'm gonna have to bite the 10G Optical switch bullet some day/year and this baby looks killer! Have never heard much abt that, good/bad/ugly? I've been really on the lookout for a good Arista/Extreme/Juniper 10G optical 24 port switch on the cheap/steal 1K approx if that EVEN exists, probably not quite yet).

Man I'd love to snag one but the wife would jack me up and take me to 'hardware hoarders' therapy hah. Looks like Cray acquired them as well, wonder if that bodes well or not longterm?

EDIT: Like that I see this. Seems to fall in alignment w/ Arista's strategy as well.
Gnodal's products ran a Linux-based network operating system, GnoS OS)

Last edited:

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Both switches are coming from the same area in Canada. The $1300 one has + 50 US shipping. The 1000 one has $50 US shipping.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
My one issue, well maybe not an issue but depending on your usage, would be no layer 3 on these switches at all. I was ponder about picking one of these up when the prices were twice what they are now and realized routing at 10/40gb was going to be tough if not done on switch. Though good find and great price.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Guess I've got a new switch on the way. Seller on the $999 listing auto-accepted $750. Was a bit surprised at the instant accept 25% below ask. No idea how low they would go. Anybody want to try at $500? ;)

Assuming it actually works and there isn't some fatal flaw (out of control fan noise, etc) then I guess there might be a Juniper EX2500 on the market soon...

Mike

May 29, 2012
EU
My one issue, well maybe not an issue but depending on your usage, would be no layer 3 on these switches at all. I was ponder about picking one of these up when the prices were twice what they are now and realized routing at 10/40gb was going to be tough if not done on switch. Though good find and great price.
Get one of those new Intel adapters and Netmap and you (might) be flying...?

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
Interesting I messages that seller earlier today asking what best offer might be accepted and he came back at 800, or 850 with rackmounts

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Guess I've got a new switch on the way. Seller on the $999 listing auto-accepted $750. Was a bit surprised at the instant accept 25% below ask. No idea how low they would go. Anybody want to try at $500? ;)

Assuming it actually works and there isn't some fatal flaw (out of control fan noise, etc) then I guess there might be a Juniper EX2500 on the market soon...
Ha! Well I think I read the specs earlier and they were like 160-170w typical and 1.6w/ port (or something like that). Not too bad. I do see dual power supplies so that would make me slightly nervous.

You should see how I have been doing on some of the enterprise buys lately. 55-60% of list price wins a lot of time on manual review.

BTW - the $1300 seller did not take $750 I was told by a reader.

I have something like 17 or 18 flights in the next 15 days otherwise I would be inclined to pick one up.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Not worried just because of the dual psu. Their customer base is probably very interested in redundancy. I have a pretty good understanding of that mentality from my job.

My real concern is purely noise. Very likely that was their last priority. Little fat high pressure 40mm 1U fans don't have to spin very fast to emulate a jet engine...

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Ha! I was thinking the same thing. I bet it will be loud. The big question is whether it is worth the investment to make them quiet. At $750 though... might be hard to say it is not.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Dual power supplies often indicate design for A+B power and Datacenter only environments. When I see that on networking gear I figure it will be loud.

Redundancy is good of course.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@PigLover would you mind letting me know when you have an ETA. I want to see how long it would take to ship one of these to the Bay Area.

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
I knew it was a mistake joining this site! I just picked this up and I'm not completely sure I'll need it. :)

I imagine I'll be happy I got this when I pick up some of the upcoming Intel 10/40GB NICs and start adding them to my server/workstations.

Anyway, thanks to PigLover's prompt I tried $550 and it was auto-accepted. Unfortunately, in Canada we have to pay an extra 13% sales tax (which for some reason they charge on both the selling price and shipping total) so my total all in was $706.25USD. I hope this helps anyone else who is on the fence.

From my reading, Gnodal went into administration last October and many of it's employees were bought up by Cray research. Here are some interesting links on these switches:

Gnodal - A New Type of Fabric and Silicon - Impressive - EtherealMind
Startup rolls out 40G data center switches at Interop | Network World
Gnodal GS0072: The Baddest Switch At Interop - Network Computing

Last edited: