Suggestions for 48 port gigabit switch in the $100 to $300 range

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Darkytoo

Jan 2, 2014
Right now I have a 24 port dell switch that's about 5yrs old. I'm running out of ports and have started looking at options in the $100 to $300 range. Any suggestions? I'd like to stay away from dell as they seem to get universally bad reviews, and while my switch has been good to me, I feel like it isn't as fast as it could be. This is for my home lab, so I don't need anything super crazy, but as you can see, my home lab is filling up a 24 port switch, so I have some pretty extensive gear.

Requirements:
Managed Switch
Low power usage
As Quiet as possible
VLAN support
QOS
LAGG support
Jumbo Frames

It would also be nice to have something that is either still supported or has had fairly recent firmware updates

So far i've looked at:

Juniper: front runner right now, but at the top of my budget.
Extreme Networks: Look nice, but you can't get updates without paid support
HP: Look nice, but can't find one in my price range, and I don't know if you can get updates for them.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I've got a HP Procurve 2824 (EOL but you can still find good firmware for it plus HP lifetime warranty you can't beat!). It's a dang good 24 port GigE with all the features to boot that you have listed above. Used it in my home vSphere lab for years until I upgraded to a 10G capable switch. Let me know if you are interested, will let it go to a STH member for $100.

EDIT: 48-port version of my switch is here currently bid at $100. GL

HP ProCurve Gigabit Switch 2848 48pt 10 100 1000BT 4 Dual GbE SFP Ports J4904A 0890552632848 | eBay

Reactions: Jeggs101

Stanza

Jan 11, 2014
HP / 3Com Switch 4200G

Love my 48port:)

Good if you can find some cheap 10g modules for the rear;)

mervincm

Jun 18, 2014
Might want to be more specific in your LAGG requirement, some don't support 802.3ad LACP (like my Mikrotik....)

PS maybe time to add in some 10gig? you can drop a lot of cable count to something like an ESXi box if you have a few 10GigE connections available.

Darkytoo

Jan 2, 2014
Might want to be more specific in your LAGG requirement, some don't support 802.3ad LACP (like my Mikrotik....)

PS maybe time to add in some 10gig? you can drop a lot of cable count to something like an ESXi box if you have a few 10GigE connections available.
Lagg (LACP) is needed (for 2012r2 teaming)
I actually don't need 10Gb, as I have a separate Infiniband network, but i'm trying to keep that just for iSCSI and cluster traffic. I've looked into porting some network traffic over it, but I'd have to do some form of network virtualization and somehow get my pfsense a connection to the infiniband network. Plus if you look through the forums, my issues with infiniband are well documented. Plus part of the reason why I want a new switch is to get osmething that has more advanced options than I have available now on my dell.