What SSDs are you using with LSI MegaRAID cards?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
I know LSI has their compatibility list but I'm curious what SSDs real people are using successfully with LSI MegaRAID cards. I'm looking for good all-around performance without a lot of hassle (i.e., avoiding finicky compatibility issues).

I'm intrigued by the Samsung 850 Pro SSDs but recall there were lots of problems using the 840 Pros with LSI cards and wasn't sure if those were ever resolved. I see LSI currently has no Samsungs on their compat list so I'm guessing no.

zetlali

Jul 28, 2014
Until a couple weeks ago I was using 840 pros on the Intel RS25DB080 (9265-8i clone) without issue. I believe there was an issue a while back with the 9270 not allowing you to enable the disk cache policy. That issue was specific to that card and I think they fixed it. I checked LSI's compatibility report and they do list the 840 pro on there along with a bunch of other Samsung drives. (No 850 pro since the report is from May)

http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public...egaRAID_SAS3_936x-938x_Compatibility_List.pdf

Just curious, what do you plan to use the drives for? I think if I was planning to use them for Cachecade, I might opt for something in their compatibility list. If I just wanted drives that performed well in their own array I would bite the bullet and go with the 850 pro. Worst case scenario the drive doesn't work right away and LSI eventually fixes it or you just return the drives.

zetlali

Jul 28, 2014
Heh, so apparently their PDF is actually missing the heading for Samsung in the SSD section, but the drives are still listed in there on page 37.

SATA
6Gb/s
840 Pro, MZ-7PD512
3B0Q
512GB
2.5"

SATA
6Gb/s
840 Pro, MZ-7PD256
3B0Q
256GB
2.5"

SATA
6Gb/s
840 Pro, MZ-7PD128
3B0Q
128GB
2.5"

lunadesign

Aug 7, 2013
That's too funny.....I was just searching for Samsung. Thanks for pointing this out!

It's promising to hear that 840 Pro's were working for you and that they are officially supported by LSI.

AxNet

Dec 4, 2016
Does anyone have an updated broadcom list of SSDs that are accepted as CacheCade disks (in my case LSI 9361)?

I am asking this as none of my current SSDs are accepted by MSM as Cachecade. I would understand that it's because they are SATA, but I also have Seagate 1200 SAS SSD 12GB/s and that one too is a "no-go" - so what do they expect me to get ??

PS: Broadcom is cheap to update all "Product Brief" colorful brochures:
- Supported SSDs: Please visit www.lsi.com/channel for a complete list of tested SSDs
Oh well, that's really cracking colorful sales material !

minimini

Sep 9, 2016
Broadcom says:

Controller which are "not" End Of Life (EOL), their compatibility list is updated on regular basis. Please keep in mind, it is not possible to test every SSD on the market. If a SSD is not on the list, then it either failed the test or was never tested. I can guide you to the list for all Controllers under the following link.

Check Interoperability and Compatibility

For MegaRAID 9361-Xi would be:
MegaRAID 12Gb/s SAS Controllers (Interoperability Report) (224 KB)

Let me know if you require further assistance.

No further requests for support, auto closing case. You may respond to this case for the same issue.

Thank you,
Storage Technical Support
Broadcom ltd.
Shahrukh

zer0gravity

Feb 15, 2013
Currently running a 9271-8icc in a Thunderbolt 3 node attached to an external 8 bay (2x512GB samsung 850 pro) and 6x8TB WD red in RAID 6. Thunderbolt 3 node is attached to a Intel Nuc and also to a Dell TB16 then to a Dell M7510 for Thunderbolt networking.

Overall crazy fast and great speeds, for its use case. This setup is used to copy over video files for local DAS editing for export to clients via USB3 drives and then uploaded via backblaze for long term storage.

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
850 pro works fine with the 9271-4i or 9271-8i. Performance on the 850 pro in general is a bit lacking if you don't set aside extra spare area on the drives. We've been buying the Intel DC S3600 / 3610 / 3700 / 3710's for the last year or so -- much faster drives.