Looking for a framework for Linux-Bench.com

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hi All,

Just wanted to see if anyone had a recommendation for Linux-Bench.com

The big requirements are that I want to have pages and basically just add a header/ footer to them. User logins may happen at some point (e.g. see all of your runs). Given that, I was thinking it might be a good idea to just start with a framework/ CMS from the outset.

Here is kindof what I am thinking I want this to look like for now, user logins optional for now. I also have ad spots in there just in case the site gets big. Likely will be blank spots for some time but Linux-Bench does require quite a bit of development:
linux-bench-ui2.JPG

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Why not just use wordpress? I don't understand why you want another framework.
I did look into this. Running PHP on wordpress is not the easiest thing to do. The Raid Calculator for an example is integrated into WP in an ugly fashion.

I want something extremely lightweight but want something popular enough to build upon and get dev support.

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
UI is not really dependant on the framework or (to an extent) CMS, so there should be plenty of options.

My personal preference for frameworks is Django and Flask, but that is mostly because Python is my preferred programming language at the moment.
If you want to go the framework route, I suggest you figure out which language you prefer (or ask whomever is going to do the coding), as that is the usual route.

However you might want to look into responsive webdesign, so the page works on both regular computers and mobile platforms.
The HTML framework (Twitter) Bootstrap, is very easy to work with, so would be my suggestion for that.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think it is going to be bootstrap + php.

I read a bootstrap book on the plane. Quite sufficient for the site (for now anyway).

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
I think it is going to be bootstrap + php.

I read a bootstrap book on the plane. Quite sufficient for the site (for now anyway).
You could do that, however you should keep in mind that Bootstrap is only a UI framework.

If you want features such a user authentication mechanisms and an ORM (easy to use and secure interface to databases), you should look into a framework to use on your PHP platform, there is no need to reinvent the wheel.
In general frameworks can improve security, usually they include security measures against: SQL injection, CSRF and persistent XSS (and many other things).

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Thanks @RTM

Thing like logins and what have you I will likely just integrate with the XF login system. No real reason to have multiple login systems. That is still some time out though.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Check out 501 now! Fairly close to the vision using Bootstrap. Thanks for the idea @RTM

Now I just need to figure out how to get integrate the results viewer.