Recent content by Tech Junky

1. T

Opinions on Western Digital SN840 vs Intel P4510 - Firmware updates available for WD?

WD has a dashboard app that you use for firmware at least for the sn770/850 drives. Not sure what they would do for the U options. On Linux fwupd doesn't do it and you'd need to boot to windows to update the FW if needed. Micron provides updates you can apply but they run hot and I didn't have...
  2. T

fast WiFi7 Router/AP

So, knowing that and having 1 uplink at 10ge.... It's a numbers game and you'll need more APs for coverage and speed vs thinking you'll be able to LACP more ports to get higher bandwidth. Knowing client options are limited to 2*2 sure a 4*4 will get you max speeds for 2 clients but, is it...
  3. T

fast WiFi7 Router/AP

10GE / 1250MB/s IRL 2400 link from single client (AX411) <> AP 5ghz+2.4ghz yields 1.7gbps So, IRL if you took 60-65% of projected speed of the link rate is what you might get sustainably. I haven't been able to test BE yet but have the cards to do so. I have to dig into the setup of AP mode...
  4. T

fast WiFi7 Router/AP

That's all marketing. IRL or read between the lines you see it's all fluff. Sure, the radios can handle that throughput but, where does it all funnel into? Just like some of the other options touting 10gbps combined BW and then a piddly 2.5gbps port. How do you mash 10 into 2.5? Maybe...
  5. T

fast WiFi7 Router/AP

I would get one with the intent to send it back when it doesn't allow 20gbps LACP. There's nothing saying it can or can't BUT, most APs won't have the ability to LAG/BOND two ports together. Exactly. There isn't one. And the graphics don't hint at them being able to be bonded together. It just...
  6. T

fast WiFi7 Router/AP

Keep in mind that only 1 port is the uplink and hence not over paying for 30gbps APs if only 10gbps is the uplink. The only benefit would be if devices are P2P over wifi only and don't need to get onto the backbone. The other ports are just to daisy chain other devices through the AP.
  7. T

Fiber: simplex, single mode to duplex?

I started with Intel until AMD caught up in terms of tech like Gen 5 PCIE. For a router though in general you don't need much. It's the other stuff that I push through the box that needs the HP. I collapsed about 6 devices into a single box. I got sick of consumer devices and wanted to...
  8. T

Sounds like my adventures with wwan. When using the provider box it uses a specific apn vs what gets loaded by the sim itself normally and the also only whitelisted the imei of their devices so the sim doesn't work in other devices.
  9. T

High idle CPU temps on i7-14700K in a Silverstone CS381

I've done it before while rushing things. Temps shot up to 100 fairly quick. Then when testing different pastes I had one brand fail 4 days into testing. So, there's a bit of a chain of how things fail to provide food cooling. I've built and rebuilt countless times over the years so, it's always...
  10. T

@T_Minus has some points. Basic IPTABLES rules mitigate this outside stuff easily with low load on the CPU. I have a basic set of ~15 rules that take care of this that block everything except anything originating from inside the network. I over engineer things though for the thought of...
  11. T

High idle CPU temps on i7-14700K in a Silverstone CS381

Could be as simple as not enough contact between the cooler and CPU. Make sure the cooler is tightly screwed down. Maybe it's crap paste that's degraded and not passing the heat along to be dissipated efficiently. I've had instances of this in the past and got sick of dealing with not only the...
  12. T

It is what it is though. The ISP device should be converting from optics to copper typically depending on what you ordered. If the built in SFP which we now know is the missing info that's helpful..... Anyway.... You found an SFP but, back to the consumer gear and not supporting it potentially...
  13. T

Not sure why you want to use consumer gear but the easiest would just be to move the sfp from the ISP device to your router.
  14. T

fast WiFi7 Router/AP

I went that route before switching to U drives instead. I could get a 16TB drive for ~$950 vs 4xM2 4TB for about the same. I did have an issue with Micron though x2 drives and switched to Kioxia ($1200) and haven't had any issues since. Not sure WTF the issue was with the Micron's but they...
  15. T

fast WiFi7 Router/AP

The ECW536 bumps you to 4x4 My idea would be get a couple more 2x2 for better coverage since the distance/bandwidth is limited to get full use of the 320. Maybe splurge for the 4x4 in a dense area like a conference room if you're sharing big data. Bottleneck would be the disks but, you can...