Recent content by sko

1. S

Qotom Denverton fanless system with 4 SFP+

FS offers to reflash their transceivers. Just write your sales rep or their general support. However, for small quantities of transceivers the shipping costs might add up to more than just ordering new ones...
  2. S

FS also offers them encoded for intel
  3. S

Use transceivers for intel. Intel has always been picky about what transceivers they support. Also I'm not sure if the Atom integrated NICs actually support other than rated (10G) speeds. If they do, maybe you also have to set/force the interface speed via sysctl or ifconfig.
  4. S

TeamViewer alternative

Apache Guacamole is what I'd use today: Apache Guacamole™ However, when we had to choose a solution a few years ago Anydesk was the most viable (and only GDPR-conformant) solution. Works quite well and has prebuilt binaries also for FreeBSD as well as some Linux distributions. These lag (quite...
  5. S

That's not a SATA port, it's PCIe x2
  6. S

I also can't understand this on *all* those network appliances. But as you said: this decision is probably made by the same clown that puts (multiple!) HDMI connectors on such an appliance - but no VGA so you could hook it up to a (networked) KVM swtich... I suppose they think everyone will...
  7. S

Newbie lost in the 10Gbps wilderness...

that's simply FUD. True, IOS will give a warning about an unsupported transceiver and older versions even disabled the port, but you can simply override this behaviour and disable warnings by issueing service unsupported-transceiver. I've used transceivers from various vendors in cisco switches...
  8. S

EXPIRED Cheap 32GB 3200 RegECC Memory Bundles

used hardware prices in europe are a farce anyways. There is a lot of used stuff on ebay sold *above* list price; just search for supermicro boards/AOCs/risers etc to get lots of examples. Same goes for used enterprise networking gear, which is usually around double the price than outside of the...
  9. S

I suspect the unit won't boot because of too much load on the SFP+ ports. The SFP+ specification allows for either <1W (type 1) or <1.5W (type 2) power consumption - *all* copper modules are WAY over those limits, so they may or may not work and may or may not damage the port either due to high...
  10. S

SmartOS

again: smartOS is a hypervisor distribution. if you want a fileserver, run it in a zone. The triton stack offers web-GUI for management and there is also project fifio, which is more geared towards also working on smaller infrastructures (e.g. no dedicated servers for management nodes needed)...
  11. S

BMC Reset Default Password

credentials don't change from upgrading the BMC on supermicro. only if you checked everything that can be cleared during an update (which should even give a warning). Also "12.61.21" doesn't seem to be a valid BMC firmware version - up until ~X11 they referred to the redfish version (e.g. 3.94)...
  12. S

SmartOS

then smartOS is the wrong tool for your job. it is an *immutable* image, i.e. you keep it 'as is' apart from its main config file for fast and easy migration and recovery. Anything you want to keep its packages, settings etc - like a fileserver - belong in zones. Those are then easily...
  13. S

SmartOS

smartOS is basically a hypervisor. you *do not want* to run anything directly on the hypervisor, let alone SMB... Just create a zone, delegate the datasets to that zone and run it there. also: none of those 3 packages you installed (on your client?) have anything to do with smartOS or are...
  14. S

Best SFP+ 10 Gbps Card?

just to be clear: are we talking about server hardware or desktop/gaming crap here?
  15. S

Best SFP+ 10 Gbps Card?

The X520 are PCIe 2.0; so of course they need 4 lanes for full bandwidth. X710 is PCIe 3.0 but the specs clearly say it's an x4 card, so again: of course you'll get lower bandwidth. However, usually you get at least 4 lanes to a PCIe slot; 2 lanes are usually more a thing for crippled M.2 slots...