Recent content by sic0048

1. S

fast WiFi7 Router/AP

The WiFi 7 standards are complete and devices can now be officially "WiFi 7 Certified". At this point, the official ratification is more of a technicality than it is a milestone. But to your point, there are a lot of "pre-standard" devices out there. If purchasing today, you definitely want...
  2. S

fast WiFi7 Router/AP

I'm assuming it's because there is no real IT Professional handling this network and the person in charge of replacing the equipment is just spec'ing "what they know or have heard about" which is just normal consumer grade equipment. In other words, I suspect it is a knowledge constraint more...
  3. S

GiGaPlus - 8* 2.5G Base-T Ports, 2* 10G SFP+ Ports. (USA?)

2 of the 3 are unmanaged. I would certainly pass on those....... With more and more WiFi access points offering 2.5gb ports, the most likely reason I would ever add 2.5gb is for these devices. As such, VLAN support is pretty much a requirement. Otherwise if I need faster than 1gb speeds...
  4. S

(New to) PFsense: Vlan tagging on bridge, how?

It seems pretty cut and dry. DHCP on the VLANs and not on the bridge. You'll have to add the firewall rules per the directions in your link for the bridge segment to be able to get DHCP addresses from the VLANs.
  5. S

10GB Network Setup with Lenovo m720q OPNsense Router and CAT5E Cables?

As long as the devices are on the same network segment, data passing between the devices will be routed at the switch level. Even if you use VLANs, as long as the devices are on the same VLAN, the data routing will be handled by the switch. So in that case, you really don't need a fast...
  6. S

10GB Network Setup with Lenovo m720q OPNsense Router and CAT5E Cables?

Cat5e is not rated for 10gb at any distance. However it might actually work at 10gb in ideal conditions (ie short runs, the wire is in perfect condition, etc). However even if it can't reliably work at 10gb, it will still be faster than 1gb speeds. Long story short, it would be better to...
  7. S

CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

The virtualization question really comes down to personal preference. For me, I would not virtualize unless I had a system that could be set up in high availability mode. You don't want your entire network falling down because you had to reboot your VM host OS due to an update, etc. However...
  8. S

Help with SFP(+)

If you are really moving such large files across your network that faster than 1gb is worth it, then go straight to 10gb. But the truth is that unless you are a video editor or otherwise have a job that deals with large data sets, the average home user isn't moving around that kind of data on a...
  9. S

Help setting up D Link N6850U for access point.

Some routers have a "WiFi Access Point" mode that turns off all the "routing" functions and allows you to use the device as just an AP with the existance of another router on the network. If this particular model does not have that, then you need to make sure you turn off the DHCP service so...
  10. S

Help with SFP(+)

Don't confuse what is going on in the consumer market as "cutting edge." 10gb came out in 2002. It's so old that companies have been offloading their 10gb gear for a long time while they have moved to faster technology (40gb, 100gb, and faster). That's why it is so inexpensive to acquire 10gb...
  11. S

Me again - another hopeful simple question - just trying to learn

You first have to understand what "Layer 2" and "Layer 3" really are referring to. I'm not IT Professional but layer 2 is routing done at the MAC address level and Layer 3 is routing done at the IP address level. In laymen's terms, you need Layer 3 to cross over network segments while layer 2...
  12. S

Help with SFP(+)

I'm sure you are aware, but none of those devices actually support speeds faster than gigabit ethernet. Well, the Asus XT8 has a 2.5gb WAN port, but all the LAN ports are gigabit only. Spending $$$ money to get 2.5gb ports for all of these devices is a waste of money IMHO. 2.5gb is arguably...
  13. S

10GB managed switch and Router selection help

First, let me say that you can do a lot of 10gb upgrades without needing to replace your current router. Even with layer 2 switches, the only time data should be traversing to the router is 1) when it needs to traverse between different VLANs (which on a typical home network can be easily...
  14. S

Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

It's for your protection. If you make a change that breaks your network and prevents you from accessing the device to correct it, all you have to do is reboot the device and it will be back at the old configuration because any recent changes would only be stored in the RAM (non permanent...
  15. S

Help with SFP(+)

I would say that running optical cables will be better. First, the total cost is usually less than copper. This is because the SPF+ optical transceivers are much less expensive than DAC cables or SPF+ ethernet transceivers. Fiber optical cable is not expensive either (a 98' patch cable is...