Recent content by Peter Blanchard

1. P

RAID issues with dissimilar speed drives?

OK. I have a NAS that uses 10 1TB 10k RPM Velociraptor HDDs. It's SATA only. Squeezed into mATX case, with a FlexATX mobo. HDDs are ancient and bound to fail at some point. Whilst there are there are refurbished(?) and even a handful of new drives on the market, they are expensive. When...
  2. P

Where do I find a sturdy cardbox for packaging an ICX 7250-48P (in EU)

I feel your pain. I've got a bunch of low value kit that I want to get rid of. Pick up/drop off by/to local people is the only economical option. I fell down a rabbit hole of box/carton staplers. They aren't cheap. Cutting down a box is probably the best option and use strong tape.
  3. P

Lots of Optical Drives

How many of the Startech cards can you get in the R720 etc? Do they support OS other than Windows? I've had issues using USB 3 cards with Linux boxes. Something I don't really understand is why USB peripherals are not always recognised by host computer, especially when using a USB hub. Is...
  4. P

Lots of Optical Drives

Something that occurred to me - how good are Blu-ray drives at reading older format disks? I can remember situations when DVD-writer would fail to read damaged CD but a CD drive had no problem. I've been binning PATA optical drives today.
  5. P

Lots of Optical Drives

CD/DVD duplication devices can turn up for cheap. In themselves probably not what you need but the cases might be useful to you. I remember the time it took me to rip a couple of hundred CDs. 9000 disks? I shudder to think how long that might take.
  6. P

USB C/Thunderbolt hub

I eventually bought a Dell TB16/K16A with 130w PSU for £23 (which is a good price in the UK). It does the job - one cable for power, data and video. Desk is much tidier as a result. Wife is pleased. There are a couple of things that could be done to make desk even tidier. eg swap out wired...
  7. P

USB C/Thunderbolt hub

HP laptop is a couple years old Spectre x360 14. It does have Thunderbolt. I think that a chunky second user "dock" from known brand might be a better bet than a new <insert random string> brand "hub".
  8. P

USB C/Thunderbolt hub

Another annoyance of USB C hubs is the very short cable tail.
  9. P

USB C/Thunderbolt hub

What do I mean by "extraneous"? SD/TF card slots. Analogue audio ports. More than one HDMI/DP out. The dream is the one cable swap out. One thing I don't quite grasp is whether that USB C port on a laptop that is described as power does data too? There are plenty of devices that use USB C...
  10. P

USB C/Thunderbolt hub

If someone else was paying for it, I'm sure it's an ideal solution. As I'm paying for it, way too expensive. Most of the peripherals are USB 2 speeds. Mouse, keyboard, webcam and printers. There is an external HDD that's USB 3. I've got various wifi dongles that want USB 3. There are USB 3...
  11. P

USB C/Thunderbolt hub

My wife's desk has become a rat's nest of cables. Lots of reasons why but life is too short to list them. There's a ThinkPad E14 Gen 5, HP machine as well as recent-ish Intel-based MacBook Pro. Don't use them all together so unplugging/replugging USB C cable(s) is fine. Have a number of USB C...
  12. P

Drive cages

Can't upload image for some reason. 5.25'' Cage Rack Hard Drive Tray Caddy Bay to 5x 3.5'' SATA SAS HDD Expansion | eBay is an example but you can find them in various places. It's not hot swap. Nor does it have a backplane.
  13. P

Drive cages

The front door was lost before I got hold of it. This review is helpful. Wood is under rated as a DIY case material.
  14. P

Drive cages

Very cool. "If I had a 3D printer" crops up a lot here but I can't afford a decent one at the moment and my 3D CAD skills are pretty much zero. I managed to find another case for free that is better suited to my purposes - Chieftec Scorpio TX-10BLD Entry Level Server Chassis. What you...
  15. P

Looking for Business computer replacement

If the type C port supports DisplayPort Alternate Mode, you can connect up to 2 x 4K 60Hz displays. I've a USB C "dock" (they are more "dongle" form/size in my mind) that has one DP and two HDMI - the dongles do the conversion from DP to HDMI. HDMI to both VGA and DVI-I exist if you have older...