Recent content by MPServers

1. M

Netapp DS2246 & LSI 3008 IT Mode Issues in Windows 10 for Workstations

I tried a few different driver versions, none helped. Latest firmware on the adapter as well. It works fine if you're not connecting to an expander, so I have a feeling it's that enclosure stuff that's mucking it up.
  2. M

Netapp DS2246 & LSI 3008 IT Mode Issues in Windows 10 for Workstations

I recently did another experiment involving Windows Server. I setup Hyper-V and then configured the SAS 3008 / 9300e to pass through to a TrueNAS virtual machine under Hyper-V. That works fine and even though Windows never could see the drives in the Netapp shelf, the passed through card on...
  3. M

Tintri T5060 chassis (2-node, 24-bay SFF) what is it really?

Hi @BrokenBike - That's good extra info. If I recall, the internal M.2 drives are M.2 SATA (not M.2 NVMe) but I used a USB reader that handles both so that made it easier. I don't have a lot of experience with M.2 SATA, so besides being keyed slightly different I don't know if motherboards can...
  4. M

Netapp FAS3250 hacking (Unraid installed)

Yeah, the FAS3250 definitely won't break any speed records compared to something like a Dell R730 or something for the controller. But on the other hand, if you have access to that controller and the price is right, it would make a pretty good home kit. Just the fact that it will have the...
  5. M

Patching Intel X520 EEPROM to unlock all SFP+ transceivers

Include "length 1" on the end of the -E command that sets that value. I just did this on a couple X520 card in a system I was converting to fiber SFP's and didn't realize it wouldn't accept my Cisco modules. Fortunately I had a couple Intel modules I could use for now, but it bugged me and I...
  6. M

LOL, it was the thrill of the hunt. :)
  7. M

So, it was really nagging at me that I couldn't get the FAS2240-4 any further along, so I did a little more hacky-hacky on it. To "solve" my issue of the rear/external USB not working, I took an old computer case I wasn't using and pulled out the USB 2.0 9-pin header-to-USB sockets cable that...
  8. M

Yeah, I've tried to track down the *exact* specs on the make/model of the Tintri chassis. It's definitely a Xyratex/Seagate chassis, but as for the exact model, I couldn't find anything more specific than that. There are all kinds of clues in the hardware (like " Seagate XP-SM24SXP-SM-1 " or...
  9. M

For what it's worth, I tried this with the FAS2240-4. No success. The first obstacle was that the external USB on it just seems dead. No life at all, so my trick to use an external drive to get TrueNAS going was a failure. The next obstacle was when I just tried Unraid using the 2GB internal...
  10. M

I got TrueNAS Scale installed on the FAS3250 today. That was weird. First I tried just installing from a USB key onto the internal 2GB USB, and I'd ready that TrueNAS used to be able to install and boot from a USB stick, but it didn't even see it. Maybe it was too small, I know that 2 GB would...
  11. M

On that FAS2240-4, I managed to remove that Powerstor. I thought it was a battery but it's a supercap. Either way, the thing had corroded pretty bad and was leaking. Fortunately the motherboard seems to be unscathed. I did some washing with 99% IPA and a toothbrush. Most of the goo came off and...
  12. M

I've had good luck. They're just regular SATA 2.5" SSD drives. No special firmware. I just plugged them in and they worked. When I first tried one, I used an old HP Proliant (a DL360 G6) to try it. That Proliant has --slow-- speeds for SATA drives and you could really tell. But I hooked it up to...
  13. M

Oh, I forgot to mention, on the FAS3250, fan noise is an issue. When it initially boots, it's super loud but then quiets down. However, once Unraid starts, the fans kick up a notch again. I need to figure out a good way to manage the fans in that chassis. The drive shelf is self-managing as far...
  14. M

Initial look at the FAS2240-4... there's a 4GB DDR3 module, and then a 2GB DDR3 used for the NVDIMM. I was looking at the CR2032 battery, and then my eye fell upon a crusty, leaky, "PowerStor" battery. The CR2032 looked fine, but this other PowerStor thing, whatever it's used for... gross! It's...
  15. M

I got a decommissioned Netapp FAS3250 and some DS4246 shelves, and I'm not a Netapp fanboy so I thought, hey, let's try to get Linux installed on it? The FAS3250 (and I assume all of the FAS3xxx models?) are interesting. There's a little 2GB internal USB drive in there. It's an "embedded USB"...