Recent content by maxleung

1. M

Intel EXPX9501AT (XR977) experiences

Thanks Chris. I am still at a loss as to why my XR997s refuse to link with my X540-T2s (I have two).
  2. M

mrkard, I didn't physically inspect them but I did have them installed previously in my server and PC and they worked fine - with each other. Maybe they have old firmware or perhaps they both had something fried that the newer cards don't like. Oh well, it's not a biggy yet as I don't have...
  3. M

So you had an XR997 plugged directly into an Intel X540-T2 or something similar, and it detected and worked fine?
  4. M

Hey, any of you guys test XR997s connected directly to a newer NIC, like an X540-T2? I posted before that I couldn't get my XR997s to talk to my X540-T2s at all - they wouldn't link except at 1 gigabit! So I'm wondering if anybody tried it lately? It would be rather expensive for me to get a...
  5. M

10-Gigabit Ethernet (10GbE) Networking - NICs, Switches, etc.

Here is a (very good IMHO) review of an 8 port 10 gbe switch: NETGEAR XS708E ProSafe Plus 10GbE Switch | NETGEAR,XS708E-100NES,606449090550,ProSafe Plus,10GbE,Network,Switch,Review,Bruce Normann,NETGEAR XS708E-100NES ProSafe Plus 10GbE Network Switch Review by Bruce Normann At the end of...
  6. M

Followup: on a lark, I picked up a second X540-T2 for my desktop PC, and it works beautifully with the other X540-T2 in my all-in-one ESXI server. :cool: I still haven't verified that the XR997s will link up with each other, let alone linking with the new X540. I suspect not though. The...
  7. M

I don't have an IR sensor. :o What I will do is place both XR997s into my desktop machine and verify they can talk to each other at 10 gbit. If that works, it probably isn't the PHY overheating. *fingers crossed* Although at the moment I have to get the RPM circuit attached to both...
  8. M

I'm using the circuit that I linked to earlier in the thread. It seems to work in the previous configuration before the fan died. I tried both XR997s (with the circuit now that neither have the fan). It does work when forcing 1 gbe. There is no red light in either one using the same physical...
  9. M

Ok just a quick question: Anyone have an Intel X540-T2 (dual 10 gbe) card that is attached directly to a Dell XR997? I just got an X540-T2 from ebay for about $435, and put it in my ESXi server after the fan on one of my XR997s died. My desktop machine, as you know, also has an XR997 with...
  10. M

I'm sorry I don't have any good pictures of my fan RPM circuit - it's a mess as it is still on a breadboard with wires running all over. One day I'll have a PCB solution. It really is a simple circuit - it uses the same breadboard layout as in the links for the 555 chip I provided. In the...
  11. M

Too bad! I found a workaround to the screaming noise - remove the fan, attach a bunch of video RAM heatsinks (I used the blue Zalman heatsinks with the thermal tape and stuck them to the black heatsink that holds the fan - I was too scared to remove the original heatsink entirely), and make a...