Recent content by mattventura

1. M

JBOD chassis control fans

The SES method only has a chance of working if the fans are in some way connected to the SAS expander itself, like if the backplane has fan headers. Some older ones (usually 6g SAS) do. But as said, your best bet is probably to either replace the fans or whole fan wall, or get the absolute...
  2. M

SuperMicro Backplane I2C Cable

The only header that would make sense would be JIPMB1. JPI2C1 is specifically for the PSU, and JNVI2C1 is for NVMe backplanes. If you want SAS drive information to show up in IPMI, you might be able to do so with a supermicro SAS HBA that specifically supports IPMI management.
  3. M

Cheap External 5 Bay Sata Enclosure?

You can build your own external JBOD chassis for a reasonable price nowadays. Get a cheap 8-bay NAS case, throw a SAS expander in it, put a SAS HBA in the desktop. But at that point, you're better off just using that as your actual case.
  4. M

Supermicro motherboard 13th gen with AMI bios - delay PCIe bus enumeration

Does the switch chip on the card show up in your pcie topology even if the card itself appears to not be working? Have you tried a pcie rescan after boot?
  5. M

SAS, SATA, U.2, NVME, MiniSAS, HBA or RAID, OcuLink?? - Lost in Diversity

SlimSAS, SlimSAS LP, and MCIO all have both 4 and 8-lane versions. MCIO also has a less-common 16-lane version. A. Theoretically, yes. Not common in practice. It's not rated for those speeds. B. If it's truly a SAS/SATA-only backplane, it won't work at all. U.2 backplanes use a separate set of...
  6. M

Example of bridging across multiple SR-IOV links-- with one unsolved routing problem

If PC1 can ping PC2, but not the other way around, it sounds like maybe somewhere, there's a NAT rule when it should just be plain non-NAT routing. Without any sort of connection-tracking like with NAT, a successful ping would need correct routes in both directions. Maybe there's a duplicate IP...
  7. M

Sanity Check: Advice on Next Server Steps

That is indeed a different style. I think those are for certain servers like this one (it lists it in the parts list). 82609 is the unmanaged SATA/SAS BP for 826/847/etc. 82616 is the same but managed. 82617 is allegedly an NVMe option for 826/847, but I have never seen it. 82619 is the typical...
  8. M

I want one

25G is correct. They probably copied and pasted an older image.
  9. M

First Truenas Core build, suggestions needed!

It's more of a risk if you have some kind of outage that both kills the drive and crashes the host at the same time. Though that can also happen to multiple drives in the same system.
  10. M

First Truenas Core build, suggestions needed!

You would want to have redundant drives for SLOG. No reason to use consumer grade drives when you can get enterprise grade drives for cheap. You don't mirror these - it's a bit more analogous to a RAID 0. If one dies, you don't lose any data, because it was only caching it from somewhere else...
  11. M

Recommend a motherboard with dual PCIe 5.0 x16 running at x16

You're looking at a HEDT or workstation platform. None of the consumer CPUs have enough lanes to directly run 2 x16 slots and an M.2 (yours has 28 lanes). So you're looking at a Threadripper (TRX50) or Xeon-W (24xx or 34xx) most likely. Just be warned that your motherboard selection is a bit...
  12. M

Moron tries to build a Gigabyte MZ01-CE1 EPYC 7551 system

You can also try a VGA to HDMI converter.
  13. M

Motherboard/CPU Advice for Simple File Server

It depends. Some CPUs like some of the Xeon-D series have a sort of built-in 10G which might be more efficient. Others just have a chipset that is basically the direct equivalent of a PCIe card. If the onboard chipset is very old and inefficient, a newer card might be more efficient. The real...
  14. M

First home lab advice

> 3. This is something I am not sure on either way. I kind of liked the idea of separating storage from computation in a modular way. Eg. any issues with one server are decoupled from the other? It depends. Is the storage server going to be used for anything that doesn't involve the compute...
  15. M

First home lab advice

Ok, giving this a quick look. I agree with Nexox, though I'm not sure what the AU used market looks like. I frequently see used 1400-1500 VA UPSes go up on craigslist for $100-150. Throw some new batteries in for another hundred or less. Let's talk about the Innovision chassis. One of the...