Recent content by Markess

1. M

Workstation motherboard query

To the best of my knowledge the mSATA form factor standard puts the mounting posts at the outside edge like that. Many manufacturers used just a single post on one side, like in the picture. I've never seen an mSATA device that didn't have the mounting holes on the corner(s) like that...
  2. M

Mellanox ConnectX-4 LX (Lenovo Branded), $20 Shipped. (Edit: Sold Out)

In my case, of the four I bought, 2 came with what seemed to be current firmware and two needed an update. I went ahead and flashed all four with firmware off Nvidia's site. Worked fine without issues. PSIDs were what was expected according to Nvidia's Firmware download pages, and there...
  3. M

[FS] [US-ME]: Homelab gear

Shoutout and bump for @bitbckt ! I had a great purchase experience. Easy to work with, items packed really well, shipped fast, work great. What more could you ask for?
  4. M

JBOD chassis control fans

Edit: Oh, says right there that you have RC7s. Guess I'm not paying attention very well today. Plus, there's different model reducers. I'd assume that the ones with lower resistance values can probably handle more wattage without getting hot than the higher resistance ones? Do you know...
  5. M

<SOLD> [FS][US-CA][Sacramento] $150. Dell Precision T5820 and Navepoint 22U 2-post rack

Glad there was already a sale pending on this BEFORE I saw it :p. I'm curious though, what's installed in the 5.25" Bay? Is it an 8 x Hot Swap unit for 2.5" SATA drives, or is it something else?
  6. M

Cheap / 3D Printed PCIe Cooler for the Supermicro 826

That looks like it fits nice and clean! Added to my to-do list for the lab! In that orientation, do you know if the fan draws air in via the opening on the top, the bottom, or both sides at once? If it drew air in from below, and therefore across any motherboard heatsinks under it, it would...
  7. M

Gigabyte MF51-ES0 for an SSD NAS?

Support on this Gigabyte board is very very very poor. Plus, the "manual" is literally a single page Quick Start Guide that wasn't even labeled well. That said, bifurcation works on mine. Only one of the x16 slots, but it worked for me. @JimmyBlack, which BIOS and BMCfirmware versions do you...
  8. M

KVM Troubleshooting

Are you using the included 5v PSU? Looks like it uses enough energy (7.5w) that it won't power from one of the connected computers, even if you run a separate power cable from one of the Mac's USB ports to the power connector on the switch. Dumb questions...Keyboard and/or mouse are NOT...
  9. M

need suggestions to repurpose old Dell R920, T320, and T1700

@Chriggel makes good points. I agree with them! All of it is old(er), although old is a relative thing. If you're coming from an i5-2500, all of this is going to be newer. T320 may be the best all around choice. 1356 was an interesting socket. A lot lower power draw than 2011, but you...
  10. M

Cheyenne supercomputer with 8,064 Xeon e5-2697v4 and 313,344GB of DDR4 auction!

Well at least it can be broken up into usable parts. Back in the early 90s, the engineering department where I was attending grad school tried to get rid of an early Cray and it wound up going for peanuts. Not yet old enough to be some rare museum piece, and not really usable for anything...
  11. M

(Gone) Cheap SFP+ Transceivers: Lot Of 20 New AOI A7EL-SN85-ADMA, $19.99 shipped in the U.S.

I knew they'd go fast. But, but less than 5 minutes? Dang.
  12. M

(Gone) Cheap SFP+ Transceivers: Lot Of 20 New AOI A7EL-SN85-ADMA, $19.99 shipped in the U.S.

New for less than $1 each. I've used these transceivers in my homelab (not from this seller though), for several years with Solarflare 7000 & 8000 series NICs, as well as Mellanox ConnectX-2, ConnectX-3, and more recently Connect X-4 with no issues. I have no idea how they would hold up in an...
  13. M

WiFi Planning and Optimization on the Cheap?

That link has the real deal stuff in it! For positioning a ceiling mount Access Point at home, I only had a few possible locations. I didn't need perfect placement, just needed to pick the best out of three options. So, I just used the AirPort utility app on my iPhone, which works with...
  14. M

Mellanox ConnectX-4 LX (Lenovo Branded), $20 Shipped. (Edit: Sold Out)

If you don't mind my asking, are you planning to use these as drop in replacements for your CX2? If so, what are you using for cabling? I ask because the Cisco DACs that I'd used with my CX2 and CX3 didn't work with the CX4. I found that the super cheap AOI transceivers I was using in my...