Recent content by Jihays9

1. J

Cups-pdf on Synology NAS

I've got a lab device that takes measurements and once it's finished prints a paper report if a physical usb or network printer is a attached. The device is very simple and I can't install stuff or access its filesystem. Now I'd like to be able to store those reports as a pdf, without having to...
  2. J

SW architecture for home server

Will I be able to spin down disks in this setup? I'm afraid I wouldn't if the raid is the same one the ip cameras are recording to. This option seems more flexible, but also more complex. Is Proxmox able to shutdown or keep in a low power state the VMs that are not being used? kind of like when...
  3. J

I've got a basic 2-bay Synology NAS 220j, but it gets easily overwhelmed if Plex needs transcoding or if it's updating its metdata library. Anything idling at 10-15W would be ideal, 20W acceptable. My current budget is somewhere between 400-500€. You can find a "decent" server on this site for...
  4. J

I'm fairly new here and would like to get some feedback from the community on how to best approach what I'd like my server to do and the power consumption impact. I've got a solar with batteries and every kWh of those batteries is quite expensive, therefore I want to minimize the consumption of...
  5. J

Reduce opnsense router power consumption

Recently I put together a SFF pc with an i5-6500 and a quad port Cisco NetExtreme 1Gb network card. It operates as my main router running OPNsense. It’s running 80-85% of the time on C3 state, which is the lowest FreeBSD can do, and it’s pulling about 22W idling. I’d like to turn those 22 into...
  6. J

Pfsense - dedicated hardware or VM

In a nutshell that’s what I’m looking for, and get feedback from you guys to see what’s easier to setup and manage in the long run. I’m starting with the network router/firewall. For some reason I see a conflict with the firewall being on a VM hosted by the same server it’s trying to keep safe...
  7. J

My ISP connection is 600Mbps although I honestly think I don’t need “that much”. Regular web browsing on 1-2 devices, a couple of Netflix clients and that’s about it as far as Internet traffic goes. Even the stunning 4k Apple TV shows are a mere 5-7Mbps? In any case, I wouldn’t want the hardware...
  8. J

Sure, although I figured one of the benefits to using something like pfsense is such that one doesn’t have to setup the firewall (or iptables) for every single device that connects to the lan?
  9. J

I'm starting my home lab and would like to have a pfsense firewall. I'm debating between using a dedicated Optiplex-like (i5 or so) hardware or running it as a VM allocating a couple of cores and say 4GB of ram from my server. While I understand the basics, I don't have much hands-on experience...
  10. J

Ethernet coupler on a POE run?

Yeah I measured it afterwards with a kill-a-watt and there was only a 4-5W increase when the camera was powered and recording to the NAS.
  11. J

I did a dry run on the Cisco switch with a 5Mp Reolink camera. It says on the interface information that's using 15.4W and the negotiated speed is 100 Mbps. Am I wasting my time looking for a gigabit POE switch if it'll be exclusively dedicated to the cameras? By the looks of it, at 1-2Mbps...
  12. J

You make some very good points. However, it only takes a hoodie and a bandana covering the nose for the cameras at head height to be almost as useless… Probably a combination of both is best. Near head height in potential entrances (doors, windows) and set up higher to monitor larger areas...
  13. J

Yeah sorry I might’ve left some info out. I got a pretty good deal on that Cisco so I figured I might as well use some of its poe budget for the cameras, but since it’s loud it must be in the garage. Only afterwards we realized that routing the conduits wouldn’t be as easy as we imagined (tight...
  14. J

The garage switch is a Cisco WS-C2960S-24PD-L. It’s too loud to have in the living area that the attic will become. The thing is, we’ve been in the house for less than a month so my poe needs aren’t very well defined yet. Planning for 6 cameras, or up to 8. Is 120W poe budget enough? Regarding...
  15. J

Yes and no. Yes, it would be easier to install, but I’d like to avoid buying another poe switch, they are pricier and can be a bit noisy. I had already devoted a rack and some space in the garage, just in case the hardware is too noisy to be in the living area of the house. So couplers are a...