Recent content by james23

1. james23

100g qsfp+ optics question (CWDM) - low prices

> multi mode OM4 patch cable ??? CWDM4 is single mode (SMF), OS2 cable... i know that- You may have misread I used SMF patch cables (the MM patch was just a 2nd test incase signal needed to be attenuated ie lowered power, which it did bring the signal down about 3db as i wanted, but still...
  2. james23

not sure if its A compatibility issue (switch is a netgear m4500-48XF8C on the latest FW v7.0.3.12 ) or if the qsfp modules are faulty, but im not getting a link between 2x KAIAM XQX5100 100GBase-CWDM4. More importantly the switch is showing local fault on one and local / remote fault on the...
  3. james23

Netgear M4500 100G switches

im attaching the tech-support txt output file , If any are curious of the features this switch offers (quite alot! i did pull out SN and mac-ending ). Even though the two psus show a combined 100 watts (55w + 45w ), my watt meter is showing 128 watts at idle from the wall (maybe is due to psu...
  4. james23

OUCH - no web gui on this model switch! I incorrectly assumed it would have one in addition to the more advanced commands accessible via CLI. i may end up listing it on ebay soon, as for a home /work lab type of scenario i do want some kind of GUI + CLI. So that is a VERY important thing to...
  5. james23

netgear m4500 Power / Noise levels (typical)

to update my own post (Since this information can't be found on the Internet in my experience); i got the m4500 switch in and: from my own testing it's around 127 watts idle and 50 to 55 decibel sound level (pretty quiet for this level of switch IMO!) NB: this is with both PSUs connected to...
  6. james23

i was able to grab one from ebay for ~$1250 (I think I was lucky on the price, as it's still a current generation switch from netgear's pro AV line, and retails for a little above 15K). I do a lot of network engineering, and have always liked netgears' managed switches for edge devices. They...
  7. james23

> As far as i understand, mux/demux is done internally in the QSFP28 modules. Great thanks, This was my assumption also. will update w full equpiment specs / Compatibility when done in next few weeks
  8. james23

I've worked with a good bit of fiber, but never CWDM nor 100g stuff yet (until now)- Assuming that the QSFP28 modules ARE compatible with both of my switches (i know thats not always the case, but lets just assume yes here). should connecting 2x of these optics together with a patch cable be a...
  9. james23

netgear m4500 Power / Noise levels (typical)

I have searched everywhere and posted over at the netgear forms, i'm looking for the typical power draw of either of the 2x models from the Netgear M4500 series switches. So at this point I'm hoping someone who actually has one of these switches deployed can chime in with even a rough estimate...
  10. james23

Genoa ES CPUs + SM H13SSL bundles on ebay?

Is that true? (ie low retail/new price in china?) (or i assume your being Sarcastic, and if so the reason it's so the price is so low is because it's an engineering sample CPU, which is what im asking about). tks
  11. james23

Genoa ES CPUs + SM H13SSL bundles on ebay?

I've searched around and can't find much info in regards to the newest Genoa AMD Engineering Sample CPU's (and/or running AMD ES cpus on H13 boards) - Clearly the price is this low for a reason ($1950), as it's essentially the price of a non-es 9334 CPU ALONE , but also includes the H13...
  12. james23

SuperMicro X11SSW-F - How to factory reset = Sorted.....

hi, any chance you could update with what the powerdraw of this board is? thanks
  13. james23

Guide for using Niagara 4.3 to set 12g speed in firmware limited HGST sas3 drives

wow! thanks for this guide! this helped me resolve my 8x 1.6tb HUSMM HGST drives i received /bought from ebay, only linking at sas2 speeds (6.0gbps) - im using a 3008 HBA in IT mode, and my supermicro backplane is sas3 (24bay 2.5", direct attached BP). I had assumed they were linked at...
  14. james23

NEW 1.6TB SSD SAS Enterprise Drive (12Gb SAS!)

as a point of reference, this past week i bought 6x of these exact drives (1.6tb) for $100 each from a ebay seller (who is sold out now btw :( ) so Aug 28, 2016 : ~$545 was a great deal on these used, 6.5years later, feb 2 2023: $100 is a great deal on these used. (so ~ 65$ drop per year...