Recent content by i386

1. I

How to Install the ASPEED Windows 11 VGA Driver for Better Video

Was that system installed without being connected to the Internet? :D
  2. I

How do you guys feel about BIOS updates?

I try to Update as soon AS the Updates aRe available; for my Servers and for PCs & Notebooks. For the companies Notebook i have to Install BIOS within 6 weeks after Release. Usually there are no Problems (with the BIOS Update process itself or with the updated stuff inthe Update), but around...
  3. I

(Mellanox) Nvidia SN3700 do support 56GbE ?

56GBE is a proprietary implementation, they probably dropped the support for it :D
  4. I

SSD design question…

Pure Storages uses open channel ssds: they have controllers but no flash transition layer (basically the host cpu & ram must take take care of wear level, gc, logical to physical storage mapping etc.)
  5. I

Gigabyte is refusing to provide GPL source code for BMC firmware

I would argue that the bmc stuff runs on top of linux/doesn't derivate from the linux kernel and hence doesn't fall under the gnu gpl v2 license...
  6. I

10 year old Asustor NAS works better with media files than a Windows Server OS on superior hardware ??

Did you run the bpa (best practice analyzer) and looked at the suggestions? I had for ~6 years a dual core xeon d (2.2GHz), 16GB ram, 10GBE + >150TB hardware raid windows server as a nas and no problems sharing files to windows pcs or android tablets & nvidia shields running kodi
  7. I

SX6036 still useful in 2024?

it's great for a 40gbe switch: low power consumption compared to arista switches, can be "silenced" with the fae fan commands, known/good brand with a lot of documentation, works so far with all dac cables and optic transceivers that I have
  8. I

Recommendation for a good and fast iSCSI switch

"High availability" with a single switch? This screams for me single point of failure... How many ports? What speed? Estimated lifetime/you want to keep it around? New? Or used? Budget? Without more information everybody will just guess and the answers won't help you or anybody else coming via...
  9. I

Is bigger always better? What size of hard drives for your archives?

rotational speed (7200rpm/120 rotations per second for most drives) numbers of platters (inside the hdd casing) higher rotation speed would increase heat and noise levels (sas hdds are screamers at 15k rpm and produce a lot of heat) numbers of platters would add weight and require more powerful...
  10. I

SAS Harddisk connect to desktop

sas host bus adapter or raid controller (with hba mode) mainboard with a pcie slot (x1 should be enough but it's better to have a x8 slot) cable(s) Cables will depend on how you want to connect the drives (directly? with a backplane?) and what connectors your controller has
  11. I

>=25G network not performing well with Windows 11

I would "invert" that statement and say the consumer hardware manufacturers don't test their systems enough... (My most recent experience was an asus board that wouldn't boot with a >x4 pice device (hba or 25GBE nic) in a x8 slot and the gpu in the x16 slot. This was later fixed with a bios update)
  12. I

Recommendations for Small Buisness configuration.

There was a front page post about a 2u4node system failure a few years ago where a power surge fried the nodes at the same. I think sth was down for a few hours/days. @Patrick do you have a link to that post? I rember it but can't find it with the forum search or google (oldest post in main...
  13. I

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

"maximum poe+ class, 4 ports"?
  14. I

1.3U chassis

I think it was extra space for consumer gpus and their "non standard" heatsinks & fans
  15. I

Adaptec ASR-6805 SAS RAID Card

1) yes 2) the stock/vanilla versions no, oem models maybe 3) not sure as these cards (sas2) came around a similar time as the (u)efi stuff 4) "stupid" consumer stuff, check for a bios update (I had a problem with a mellanox nic in an asus system that was solved with a newer bios version) 5) In...