Recent content by Becks0815

1. B

A Mattgadient server/router

The Supermicro has arrived, and here are pictures. Might be relevant, because just like with the Intel T350V2, there are tons of fake cards available on ebay. My decision was based on dropping any Chinese seller from the selection, after studying the pictures of the cards they advertise. And...
  2. B

CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Tried it, didn't boot. But for more details, you have to wait until next week. Then I have the dual NIC card I am waiting for, can exchange the router and start playing with the N100 box again. From what I now know from playing with an I3-12100, L1 ASPM on NIC and other hardware parts is...
  3. B

Just in case anyone is interested in an alternative solution. I am now building a machine which should be able to combine Router and NAS into a single machine: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/a-mattgadient-server-router.44303/ I haven't finished yet, still playing with the...
  4. B

PSU has arrived, and with the be quiet 12M, power consumption is down to 8-9W from 10-12W. Not a lot saved, but it shows the new supply is almost as efficient as a Pico PSU, while at the same time offering much more connectors and a way higher max power output, if needed. And this PSU costs a...
  5. B

I have decided to combine my current hardware combo (N100 running Proxmox with Opnsense and some other VMs and a J5040 with Ubuntu) into a single machine with enough CPU power to run a NAS, router and several local services in one machine, after I stumbled across this page here: 7 watts idle on...
  6. B

Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

If I wouldn't have added this thread to my watch list, I would miss the updates. The R610 I have is bullet proof, fire&forget, with zero maintenance. Last time I looked into it for a firmware upgrade, it had 150 days online time, and only because I unplugged the POE by accident at some time, it...
  7. B

This is also interesting for the ones who looking into the Lenovo I5 6400 instead of the N100: Each processor offers different amounts of PCIe lanes, and with different generations of PCIe offering different speeds per lane. The i5 6400 (6th gen) uses PCIe gen 3 and offers 16 lanes. The N100...
  8. B

The i5 6400 isn't faster than a N100 according to passmark, while for sure drawing more power under load (65W tdp vs. 6w). If I would build a machine on my own, based on standard hardware, I would buy an i5 12400, 64 gb ddr4 ram and an asus h770 board, so I have more sata connectors for drives...
  9. B

4 NICs and not one.
  10. B

This theoretical information doesn't match my practical results, using a 360mm water cooling system and a 5800x3d CPU. After repasting it twice within 3 months, in all cases the liquid turned into solid metal film, baking the CPU and cooler into one block. It always took a while to separate each...
  11. B

buy an Noctua fan instead and some jst 1.25mm adapters ir plugs from ali, and solder everything together, then you have a much more solid solution.
  12. B

... and as soon as I have some spare minutes, I will add the sensors data from proxmox into the graph. the data is already sent to Iobroker and visible. Pretty simple stuff. All you need is to install the sensor package on proxmox and telegraf, which captures the data, transforms it and sends...
  13. B

ESP32C3, a digital thermal sensor, INA219, a 12V -> 5V step down converter, a 12V PWM fan and some cables. Then you can measure the temperature, steer the fan speed based on the outcome, measure voltage and power consumption. All data sent via MQTT to a machine running e.g. iobroker, where you...
  14. B

Branding makes a difference. Looks like the units are a bit picky with what they accept. Order the RAM from a vendor where you can send it back if needed. I have tried a Kingston Fury, both 16GB and 32GB (after an upgrade), and both work fine. The 32Gb is described here...
  15. B

Don't do this. Liquid metal has the nasty effect that it dries up over a short period of time, and you have to re paste the CPU. On top, you might not even gain any better temperature reduction compared to a good standard thermal paste. You might only gain 1-2°C, but only on high power...