Recent content by allensm

1. A

New Build Sanity Check...

So... An update from Tyan after I posted on their suppport system the problems I have been having trying to get this BIOS updated. "For the update to the Ivy Bridge BIOS, use the SiFlash tool that I've attached to the ticket. Intel released this as a bridge between Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge...
  2. A

Yes, it would have been nice to get a board that supports Ivy Bridge CPUs that actually had the BIOS update on the board to support it. At the very least a BIOS that was updateable by the buyer. It happens, I suppose, with board releases out of sync wiht CPU releases. It just makes it tough to...
  3. A

I purchased a Sandy Bridge CPU to overcome the BIOS issue of not being able to POST with the Ivy Bridge CPU. While I can now POST and the computer will run, I am now unable to upgrade the BIOS to either v2.01 or v201b. When attempting to upgrade i recieve a "ERROR: Rom file ROMID is not...
  4. A

Tyan Motherboard fails to POST

Has anyone found out how to get around the ROMID incompatibile problem without sending thet board back and waiting 6 weeks? I really don't want to wait that long for a solution.
  5. A

Will post them as soon as i get all the parts in and working and cabling cleaned up. It's all a mess right now trying to get it to work. Plus, it's sitting all over my garage.
  6. A

No I don't have one available. I can pick one up from Amazon for about $99 and I will have to wait until Monday to install. I sure hate to wait when I'm into it like this. I need to update my desltop at some point anyway so will spring for the i3-2100 an d just call it good. DOn't need any more...
  7. A

Finally got to the Tyan website. My BIOS is 1.03 and it takes a 2.01 for the Ivy support. Do you know of a way to update BIOS when you can't POST? I've never had to attempt doing it this way so not sure if it's even an option. Thanks Allen
  8. A

Thanks for the quick reply. You got me thinking there for a minute but it was a typo above. I actually do have the Intel E3-1230 V2 and NOT the ES family so I should be okay there.
  9. A

Finally received all the parts and had the time to start putting this beast together yesterday. Parts list at top of thread. Finished it up today and when it powers up all I get is continual short beeps and no video. Tried reseating RAM and all connectors - no go. Removed/unplugged everything...
  10. A

One quick question I forgot to ask in the original post. I have read a lot about cable length. Do you think I could comfortably get by with 24" cables or would I need to go longer? And not to doubt you but my checking showed that they both have SFF-8087 connectors. Are you seeing something...
  11. A

Thanks for the quick reply Patrick. After reading the various threads on the Norco rails I have, indeed, verified that I am ordering the RL-26 rails with the ball bearings. The last thing I want to do is fight this beast into the rack once its built. Thanks for the info on the motherboard and...
  12. A

I would like to take the opportunity to thank all of you regular posters for provding a wealth of information and consuming countless hours of my time in getting ready for this build adventure. Build’s Name: Big Box For Stuff Operating System/ Storage Platform: Undecided but have Win 2008 R2...