SSD Performance compared

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
On the prowl for best bang for buck SSD, will need a few to do RAID tests.
There are an ocean of them out there.

So I've done a wee chart below, Using Anvil total scores and uncompressable IO scores, should give a good indication of performance.
I've only added drives with Anvil score to keep Apples comparing with Apples.
A huge thanks to TweakTown where most of the below data came from.
The drives below are reviewed at TweakTown for more info on any and a heap more I didn't include head on over there.

Hope it helps someone decide, I'm leaning towards the Corsair Neutron if I can get some reasonably priced

Red = Best performing in that column
RED BOX = Data from Compressable results, SF controllers will do worse with Incompressable

Last edited:

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Prettified picture
added total score column
Sorting based on total score, which should indicate over best performer.

Where are the Sandforce controllers ?, the incompressable speed is it holding back big time, unless you add SLC RAM

Last edited:

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
The Samsungs didn't have Anvil scores from TT, I don't like grabbing other scores as the setups will be different

But still a work in progress

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Added in Samsung 830 and some other from Patricks benchmark roundup.
STH scores marked as such.

Patrick do you still have the SSD's any chance of Compressible scores to complete the chart ?

Also note Sandisk Extreme score differences, STH vs TT, quite large, wonder if this is the newer Firmware at play.

Here is a challenge, add you scores here for anything I'm missing, I can add to spreadsheet
You will need both 0-fill (Compressable) and incompressable scores.
Only a screen shot of the entire Anvil app will count so I can verify the above.

Last edited:

mixer

Nov 26, 2011
I'm surprised Samsung isn't higher. BTW, controller is in-house Samsung I believe, surely not SF.

Thanks for the chart.. should be valuable to the forum.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Lots more changes, including chipsets

Will give Patrick something to do to get us more samples to test.

The SSD's from a year ago are now getting old and comparatively slow with new tweaks to get the best from Chipsets/RAM
SF controllers really don't fare well at all, even the Samsung 830 is getting venerable.
Must find a 840 score

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
What about adding a column for source?

BTW - going to be doing something different going forward. All SSD testing on LSI controllers. Fairly excited about this.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Added a heap more from The SSD Review, but they insist on using highly compressible data which makes SF controllers look good, but they trip up when data becomes uncompressible
Thats why they have a -ve number so my graph will auto colour them red, false result.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Added
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB scores from john4200, now takes the speed crown :cool:
Added Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB

Rearranged list
Removed Compressed score from list
Added scores that were done with 0-fill to bottom of list.

john4200

Jan 1, 2011
Rearranged list
Removed Compressed score from list
Added scores that were done with 0-fill to bottom of list.
Nice! ;)

If you are looking for another column or two to add as a replacement, I suggest 4KiB random read QD1. The overall scores tend to put too much weight on the 4K QD32 numbers, so the 4K QD1 numbers kind of get lost in the noise. Another useful number is the incompressible sequential write speed (as measured by ASU or AS-SSD), since people that write large incompressible files (eg., video editing) care about that, and it can vary a lot among SSDs.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
it would be nice to do it Anandtech style, the ruling devices are the neutron LAMD, 840 pro, ocz vector - with OP (regardless of trim) - sustained write iops are what counts.

Also it would be nice to compare cachecade/fastpath performance, performance in raid-0,1,10 . I don't believe in raid-5/6 for any drive since it adds extra work, even hard drives (read/write/read).

We have a few controllers that matter:
Intel Software raid ERST2 (megaraidSW), HPVSA (intel raid software esxi, with up 512FBWC), LSI 9260/9266/9271(mr), lsi IT mode (9207), PMC (P410/P420/71605H[ba],724(hba), 71605e(reduced cache 1/10/0) and 24 port, and 71605q[maxcache 3 like cachecade or hp smartcache sorta).

Also Xtremesystems 34nm endurance tests.

I think if we could sort this information out here, this site would become a VERY potent source of information and the most popular website of its kind.

I've gotta admit i've learned here more about storage/ssd/server than any other website. period.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Happy to work on getting the product if someone is passionate about this and has a unique spin on the drives.