6 TB Hitachi helium drive available?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Noticed this in my emails this morning...6TH Helium Hitachi available for purchase..
The size keeps increasing, "the opposite of Moore's law!"
SO if 6 is available today, will 10 be available year end, and possibly the 6TB will have a lower price point by then...

6TB HGST 0F18335 - SATA HDD 6TB Ultrastar He6 Enterprise SATA 6.0 Gb/s 7200rpm 64MB 3.5-in Bulk
Product Code: HD-HI-0F18335
Manufacturer: HGST
new!
Your Price: $804.99 / Each

on

HGST 6TB 3.5-inch Helium Platform Enterprise Hard Drive

Mfg. Model Number:
Model Number: HUS726060ALA640
Part Number: 0F18335

Warranty: 5 Years Manufacturer Warranty

Features and Benefits:

HGST delivers the world’s first hermetically sealed, helium hard drive, the Ultrastar® He6 for massive scale-out environments. Why does helium make a difference? Helium has only one-seventh the density of air. Replacing air with helium inside a hard drive dramatically reduces the turbulence caused by the spinning disk, cuts power consumption and results in a lower temperature within the disk drive.
The reduction in turbulence for the spinning disk allows HGST to offer a seven-disk design in a traditional 3.5-inch form factor. In addition to being the world’s first helium-filled hard drive, HGST Ultrastar He6 is also the first hard drive in the industry to offer a 6-terabyte capacity. This design delivers a 50% capacity gain and still reduces the energy needed to run the drive by up to 23%.

Specifications:

InterfaceSATA 6Gb/s
Capacity (GB)6TB
Sector size (variable, Bytes/sector)512n
Max Areal Density (Gbits/sq. in.)544
Form Factor3.5-inch HDD
Performance
Data Buffer (MB)64
Rotational Speed (RPM)7200
Interface transfer rate (MB/sec, max)600
Sustained transfer rate (MB/sec, typ.)177
Seek Time (read, ms, typical)8.5
Reliability
Error Rate (non-recoverable, bits read)1 in 10^15
MTBF (M hours)2.0
Load/Unload Cycles600,000
Availability (hrs/day x days/wk)24x7
Reliability - Warranty (yrs)5
Acoustics
Idle (Bels)2.0
Power
Requirement+5 VDC (+/-5%), +12VDC (+/-5%)
Startup current (A, max)1.2 (+5V), 2.0 (+12V)
Read/Write (W, avg)7.3
Active Idle (W, avg)5.3
Unload Idle (W)3.7
Physical size
Z-Height (mm)26.1
Dimensions (width x depth, mm)101.6(+/-0.25)x147
Weight (g, max)640
Environmental (operating)
Ambient temperature5º to 60º C
Shock (half-sine wave)70
Vibration (5 to 500 Hz)0.67 (XYZ)
Environmental (non-operating)
Ambient temperature-40º to 70º C
Shock (half-sine wave)300
Vibration (5 to 500 Hz)1.04 (XYZ)

• Height: 1"
  • Width: 4"
  • Depth: 5.8"
  • Weight (Approximate): 1.41 lb

Last edited:

picker

Feb 11, 2013
rob.com
waa, 512n sector size? like not 512e, as in Emulated, but Native 512 sectors? really? I guess its possible with seven(!) platters, but wow.

Last edited:

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
Patrick, Thank You. This will make a different economic equation even for home storage this year for new builds, can be less HBA, smaller cases, less power consumption, with the advantage for large case still being potential for quieter airflow..I really need to get 2 of my projects ( ebay used purchases ) into some documented form, for feedback..After a year watching and learning, have 2 builds one a 24 drive SM case with 4U coolers ( quiet), ultimate step would be to adapt a Seasonic fanless PS to replace the SM supplies which are not too bad anyway, this would whipser quiet ( but will be a tight shoe in<<<) .
The other build is also SM ( no real allegiance just coincidence and availability) is a twin SM similar to Dell c6100, but setup specifically for 2 nodes, with 2U coolers. This will be a real challenge and hopefully end being my only machine longer term. Simply is to piggy back another standard 2U chassis on top with its bottom mostly removed ( some agricultural engineering ), as SM Twin has a very good top structure that can support it if required , so it is effectively 4U, to use quiet 4 U coolers and offer sustainable upgrade path for storage and backup. Also from my humble and SM appears much easier to make quiet, fault find then other options where you buy a global engineered solution as such like dell or HP which is designed for commercial use and supported professionally, and not a hack oilfield person...

I have basically ready to give up trying to make a DL180 G6 I bought work, replaced the board, the memory, CPU it didnt even stay turned on for 5 seconds, now with the new $25 HP SE1120 board, it turns on but doesn't post.. But I do have to say it is a sturdy looking piece of kit, I just dont have the experience to fault find it...so I guess that narrows it down a bit..

Lets see who is the first to buy 6TB drives for their home setup...

Cheers PGH

Last edited:

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
These have been out for about 3 months. You can order the 20pk from Macmall for a low low price of $17k.

I hadn't notice that they were 512n.

Last edited:

abstractalgebra

Dec 3, 2013
MA, USA
I seen them pop up on one of my suppliers a few months back, way too pricey for serious options unless money was no limit.
Good point = Sealed = Immersion cooling
Sure but at ~7 watts (active) each it does not seam worth the expense of immersion cooling. oil, ...

Looking forward to price drops. 3 & 4TB Hard Drives have been going on decent sales so hopefully it continues.